Low yield well

Users who are viewing this thread

Lincoln777

Reaction score
I have a well 170’ deep and and it pumps into a 2500 gal. cistern. It never ran dry and I could run it non stop for a hour or more, but the well pump went bad after 23 years. It was a 1/2 hp pump and so I replaced it with another 1/2 hp. Due to a injury I couldn’t pull the pump for 4 weeks, and relayed on the cistern. Finally got a new pump and me and my buddy pulled the pump and hooked the new one up, checked the wiring, and reinstalled into the well. Tuned on the breaker and wanted it pump into the cistern. Had better flow than the old one and was very happy. After 10 minutes it quit pumping. I waited about 30 minutes and turned it back on and quit after 7 minutes. It got to the point that it wouldn’t run 2 minutes. If I leave it off and turn on first thing in the morning it may run 3-4 minutes. I’m thinking somehow I lost my water. A church across the street drilled a 200 ft well while mine was down. Could their well have taken my water? Also I’m 2 miles from a gas well could they got my water? I’m not pointing fingers , I’m open to ideas. Sorry for the long post

Reach4

Reaction score
How far down is the pump?

You should get a device to shut off the pump when you run out of water. It does that by sensing the current going to the pump.

If you get a clamp-around ammeter, you will see that the current is higher initially, and drops as the water level falls.

Sure, more people drawing more water can lower the water table. I am not a pro.

Lincoln777

Reaction score
How far down is the pump?

You should get a device to shut off the pump when you run out of water. It does that by sensing the current going to the pump.

If you get a clamp-around ammeter, you will see that the current is higher initially, and drops as the water level falls.

Sure, more people drawing more water can lower the water table. I am not a pro.
The pump is 10’ from the bottom or 160’. I don’t know how many gpm it pumps. I’m looking for best options , to see if I can get the well drilled deeper, or what. Since it only runs for about 3 minutes then shuts off after being off all night, I wonder if I can hook up a pumptec or coyote and start running a minute a hour into the cistern, and see if that works, then tweak it as best I can. But open to ideas

Bannerman

Reaction score
A Dole valve or partially closed ball valve on the pipe from the well pump could be used to reduce the pump output to match the well recovery rate. That could allow the pump to continue to deliver water nonstop. Even if your well can deliver only 1 GPM, that will be 1,440 gallons potential per day to fill the cistern.

Last edited:

Lincoln777

Reaction score
A Dole valve or partially closed ball valve on the pipe from the well pump could be used to reduce the pump output to match the well recovery rate. That could allow the pump to continue to deliver water nonstop. Even if your well can deliver only 1 GPM, that will be 1,440 gallons potential per day to fill the cistern.
Thank you for the input, I will look into that

Lincoln777

Reaction score

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
drop a small rock down the well. every second till it hits water is 20 ft. (counting one one thousand). It's a surprisingly accurate method for determining how much water you have, as well as, recovery rate.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
The cistern don`t have a float. What is a easy to install but good float?
cisterns are notorious for introducing harmful bacterias (such as coliform). You may want to consider a 300 gallon holding tank in place of the cistern, which will easily accommodate an electronic float

Reach4

Reaction score
drop a small rock down the well. every second till it hits water is 20 ft. (counting one one thousand). It's a surprisingly accurate method for determining how much water you have, as well as, recovery rate.
Drop ice cubes-- not rocks. It may increase the fall time, but does not fill your well with rocks or get lodged on a submersible pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks