Washing machine drain backing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Westside

Reaction score
When the washing machine goes to drain cycle the drain pipe is back flowing, I've snaked the drain, used a bladder, and even just ran the garden hose down it full blast and drains fine, yet when I put washing machine drain hose in the drain it immediately starts back flowing again, I'm baffled. Need help on this problem.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
New washer or old washer.
Old 1.5" drain or something from the 70's and on making it 2".
Snaking the drain, did you pull out anything? Does this connect up with the kitchen sink drain?

Westside

Reaction score
Old washing machine, 2" drain pipe, I don't know if it connects to kitchen sink drain, this is the only drainage problem in the house.

Reach4

Reaction score
Old washing machine, 2" drain pipe, I don't know if it connects to kitchen sink drain, this is the only drainage problem in the house.
1. If this is not hidden in the wall, how tall is the standpipe above the trap?
2. How long did that standpipe work with that washing machine before the problem occurred? If long, get somebody in with a bigger machine.

You missed this one:
Snaking the drain, did you pull out anything?

Westside

Reaction score
Snaking it pulled nothing out, the standpipe is hidden in the wall, it has worked with no problems for the 13 years we've been in this house, why does running the hose on full blast not backup the standpipe but when I put the washing machine drain hose in it does?

Reach4

Reaction score
Snaking it pulled nothing out, the standpipe is hidden in the wall, it has worked with no problems for the 13 years we've been in this house, why does running the hose on full blast not backup the standpipe but when I put the washing machine drain hose in it does?
I am guessing the hose puts out 5 gpm and the WM puts out 12 to 15?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks