Venting Up and Down in Attic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott Yackley

Reaction score
Is venting up then down in the attic to get to main vent stack acceptable? Vent line would be 2" and main vent stack can support these additional fixtures.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 391

Reach4

Reaction score
From what I had read, that may be OK under IPC but not UPC. MS uses IPC.

Last edited:

Scott Yackley

Reaction score
Thanks! It doesn’t create a trap, so figured it was ok but wanted to check. I couldn’t find this specifically mentioned anywhere in the code.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I looked it up:

IPC
https://up.codes/viewer/colorado/ipc-2018/chapter/9/vents#905.2
"Vent and branch vent pipes shall be so graded and connected as to drain back to the drainage pipe by gravity."

UPC
https://up.codes/viewer/california/ca-plumbing-code-2019/chapter/9/vents#905.1
"Vent and branch vent pipes shall be free from drops or sags, and each such vent shall be level or shall be so graded and connected as to drip back by gravity to the drainage pipe it serves"

UPC makes it clear the vent has to drain back to the drainage pipe served, meaning the OP's configuration wouldn't comply. Since IPC just says "the drainage pipe" I say sloped back to any drainage pipe is OK, meaning the OP's configuration complies.

Cheers, Wayne

DavidDeBord

Reaction score
Are offsets allowed in the Vent stack, "above the flood rim" where it could be moved towards the peak of the roof, so as to allow the kitchen vent connection to have fall back towards the kitchen drain?

Myself, I'd run the Kitchen on a separate vent stack, so as to cut down the Labor, Time, & Material.

Reach4

Reaction score
Are offsets allowed in the Vent stack, "above the flood rim" where it could be moved towards the peak of the roof, so as to allow the kitchen vent connection to have fall back towards the kitchen drain?
Yes. You can tilt vent pipe between 2 degrees from horizontal, as long as you are 6 or more inches higher than the fixture you are serving.

If you were asking if the vent could switch to going down a bit to hit a different drain (forming a shallow inverted V -- perhaps draining to stack-- that would be OK in OH (IPC). If this sentence doesn't make sense to you, don't worry about it. Or if this was what you were asking about, good.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Had some comments but see we are talking IPC , So I don't know . It looks like a giant trap to me for light gasses.

DavidDeBord

Reaction score
"If you were asking if the vent could switch to going down a bit " --- No Reach.

"where it could be moved towards the peak of the roof," meaning as it rose towards the the roof, if it could could 45 over, or whatever degree it took, to maneuver towards the peak of the roof, so as to allow an easier connection above the cathedral ceiling for the kitchen vent.

But like I said:

"Myself, I'd run the Kitchen on a separate vent stack, so as to cut down the Labor, Time, & Material. "

Reach4

Reaction score
"If you were asking if the vent could switch to going down a bit " --- No Reach.

"where it could be moved towards the peak of the roof," meaning as it rose towards the the roof, if it could could 45 over, or whatever degree it took, to maneuver towards the peak of the roof, so as to allow an easier connection above the cathedral ceiling for the kitchen vent.

But like I said:

"Myself, I'd run the Kitchen on a separate vent stack, so as to cut down the Labor, Time, & Material. "
Was your question in #7 rhetorical?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks