Compression Ring Cutter

Users who are viewing this thread

JacksonC

Reaction score
In discussions about removing 1/2 inch copper compression rings, I have seen several comments that using a compression ring cutter eliminates the possible problems that compression ring pullers can cause. However, none of the comments give a product or brand name for such a cutter, and googling 'compression ring cutter' leads me nowhere except to compression ring pullers. Any help would be appreciated, including other alternatives to pullers that are less likely to deform the piping.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've never cut one off before. If they won't slide off it's because the pipe is already deformed.

I take that back, I did a couple of times and it sucked.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've cut one off with a Tiny Tim saw but highly not recommended by me. I'm at a loss a good way to remove from CPVC or a good way to address it. I usually cut the stub out off but then its tight to the wall or even a bigger hole in wall making an escutcheon harder to install yada yada yada not fun. So I hate angle stops on CPVC and PEX . unless someone put MIP adapters on

JacksonC

Reaction score
I've never cut one off before. If they won't slide off it's because the pipe is already deformed.
Okay, I'll get a puller and try it. Fortunately if the ring won't slide off I believe I have enough room to cut the pipes and still be able to install a stop valve. But just out of curiosity, is there such a thing as a tool specifically designed to cut compression rings rather than pull them? Thank you!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Okay, I'll get a puller and try it. Fortunately if the ring won't slide off I believe I have enough room to cut the pipes and still be able to install a stop valve. But just out of curiosity, is there such a thing as a tool specifically designed to cut compression rings rather than pull them? Thank you!

You do have a nut there to contend with which makes for harder access to saw a sleeve off. And if you cut too deep, then you have damaged the copper.
I have replaced hundreds of stops using pullers so I don't see why you would think it's some magical thing and difficult to do. Cutting the sleeve is the difficult thing to do. Maybe someone, somewhere has used a tool that we haven't heard about. As a plumber though, I don't have time to do things the hard way.

JacksonC

Reaction score
You do have a nut there to contend with which makes for harder access to saw a sleeve off. And if you cut too deep, then you have damaged the copper.
I have replaced hundreds of stops using pullers so I don't see why you would think it's some magical thing and difficult to do. Cutting the sleeve is the difficult thing to do. Maybe someone, somewhere has used a tool that we haven't heard about. As a plumber though, I don't have time to do things the hard way.
I have no experience replacing a stop valve. The puller seems like a perfect and easy way to remove the sleeve, but then I started seeing online comments from users that using a puller had flared the pipe opening, deformed the pipe, etc. - and comments that a 'cutter' was the safe way to it - so I thought I might be missing something. I'll use a puller! I trust your experience completely and really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
A bit off topic and old timey, but having done a lot of repair plumbing I always stub out a brass nipple. Yeah, it costs more, but the guy who has to change the stop the down the road will want to kiss you on the forehead because it is the simplest swap out there is.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

The Ferrule Blaster is the easiest, I found this video here. I like to use this, but it is the most expensive tool for this.
I broke one when I squeezed the handle too hard. I won't make that mistake twice.

And the Pasco is found in all hardware stores and will pretty much remove most everything.
This video shows a difficult removal, but it did remove it. Less than $40.00 most places.
Pasco Compression Sleeve Puller

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Saf-T-Kut makes a compression ring cutter: https://www.saftkut.me/product/compression-ring-cutter/ (model EBCRR)

Work pretty well.

saf-t-kut-ring-remover.jpg

saf-t-kut-ring-cutter.jpg

saf-t-kut-ring-remover-2.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score

The Ferrule Blaster is the easiest, I found this video here. I like to use this, but it is the most expensive tool for this.
I broke one when I squeezed the handle too hard. I won't make that mistake twice.

And the Pasco is found in all hardware stores and will pretty much remove most everything.
This video shows a difficult removal, but it did remove it. Less than $40.00 most places.
Pasco Compression Sleeve Puller
I use the puller too Terry but what about CPVC or PEX?

JacksonC

Reaction score
To remove my old compression fitting rings, I ended up using a puller from English Tool Company www.englishtoolco.com . It's very small so it fits in tight locations, and it can be placed and operated with one hand. It threads by hand into the existing compression nut, then you use a ratcheting socket wrench to tighten the tool and pull the existing nut and ring off. Clever design, well made, easy to use, worked perfectly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks