Drain stub out higher than slab

Users who are viewing this thread

Henrycky

Reaction score
Hello all,
We are trying to install a Schluter Kerdi shower. Pre sloped pan with linear drain. The house has been built for about 15 years and we have just finally got around to starting this. The plumbing in this house is stupid but that is beside the fact. As you can see from the pictures the drain is higher than the floor slab. So my solution is to either raise the floor with a mortar bed which is my first option or bust concrete and adjust the pipe which is not really what I want to do. If anyone can please advise me on what they would do I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

B4D5A878-C35F-4067-9FA5-5568D5FFA42C.jpeg
1F2E96C5-2CFD-461C-9FDD-E1D542F0ABA0.jpeg
02AAD583-68D6-43CD-8E38-C822177FDDBB.jpeg

Attachments

• 94C73864-9E39-4E1B-9C5F-E04059D9B56C.jpeg
    94C73864-9E39-4E1B-9C5F-E04059D9B56C.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 130

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Can you locate the 90 below that to see what you might have to work with?
The option of raising the pan also works, though I do find it odd when I've stepped out of things like that. They make some tubs that allow for extra space underneath to hook up drains, so it is done sometimes.

kevreh

Reaction score
There are some linear drains where the drain is in the wall(!) If you frame out with a 2x4 wall that might work. Not enough room to do a linear drain against the wall, unless the shower is moved a few feet left or right.

You may be able to make it work with a schluter pan. But you’ll have to modify it. Basically, Kerdi foam pans have a perimeter height of about 2” depending on the pan. If it was me I would carve out underneath the pan so it sits on the pipe. When you thinset the pan to the slab you could apply thinset over the pipe too. But this is beyond the intended purpose of the pan and this means you would have a center drain pan though.

Best way is probably a mud (mortar) pan made in place. You could make it thick enough to cover the pipe, which isn’t that bad.

Last edited:

Henrycky

Reaction score
I ended up framing another 2x4 stud wall so the drain will set against it. And we ended up raising the floor 1" with studs and plywood. The only reason we were using the shower pan here is that we sold the other house we were going to use it on and brought it to this one, so we had the materials just needed somewhere to use them since they aren't returnable! Thank you all for the help!

kevreh

Reaction score
Glad it worked out. Sounds like you built a little platform then put the Kerdi shower pan on top of that? Sounds good!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks