Is this shower base acceptable?

Users who are viewing this thread

CRP

Reaction score
Have a question for the experts. I am installing a 32 x 48 shower base that will have paneled walls. The base arrived today (Kohler, fiberglass with enamel finish) and upon opening it I could visually see that the back lip is not straight, bowing inward almost 1/2". I know I can shim behind for proper attachment, however I'm concerned about the panels properly fitting over what I see as a manufacturing defect. I assume if I use this one I can shim out the studs to get the back wall level. Due to shipping times I will need to order a new one immediately if needed. I've attached some photos.

shower2a.jpeg
shower4a.jpeg

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So how do the paneled walls work and how does the water proofing tie into the shower base?

If you install the shower base with the corners against the studs, and a 1/2" gap in the middle, and then shim out those studs 1/2" everywhere, will the panel properly overlap into the base, and will the extra 1/2" protrusion of the panels relative to the corners be a problem?

If it will work OK, and it will look OK, you have the option to proceed. But if it won't work properly, or you think the look or the fact of the 1/2" bow will bother you, then get a replacement.

Cheers, Wayne

CRP

Reaction score
So how do the paneled walls work and how does the water proofing tie into the shower base?

If you install the shower base with the corners against the studs, and a 1/2" gap in the middle, and then shim out those studs 1/2" everywhere, will the panel properly overlap into the base, and will the extra 1/2" protrusion of the panels relative to the corners be a problem?

If it will work OK, and it will look OK, you have the option to proceed. But if it won't work properly, or you think the look or the fact of the 1/2" bow will bother you, then get a replacement.

Cheers, Wayne

I ordered a new one and it is exactly the same. I haven't found another brand that has the dimensions and drain location I need and do really love the finish on it as apposed to others. I have considered that if the back wall can be bent over the protrusion it shouldn't be much of a problem, but the walls are taking 6 weeks for arrival so I don't have them to examine and determine if they will bend appropriately. Was just trying to get my materials assembled so I could move on this for my daughter when the walls get here. Guess I'll just need to wait and figure it out then. Thanks for your courteous response.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks