Electrical connections inside well?!

Is the wiring configuration in this photograph acceptable?

• Yes

• Only under certain circumstances

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

ConstableDuffy

Reaction score
I just bought a house that was built in 1977. When I opened the well, I found the electrical connections in the following photograph at the top of the well. This concerns me as there is condensation at the top of the well that seems to me to be perilously close to causing electrical shorts. Is the configuration in the attached photograph acceptable? If so, how is this acceptable from an electrical perspective? If not, how should I correct it?
20210109_110220.jpg
Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
You have a pitless that looks similar to my Merrill SMCK pitless adapter.
21406-88aa7b5e2179ffcfc8f0f6da6a7806e2.jpg

I think the splices are supposed to be waterproof splices rather than wire nuts. Not terrible IMO. The leakage would not be significant. I am not a pro.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Probably a majority of the wells that have a pitiless adapter and a sanitary well cap like yours have a splice inside the casing made up with wire nuts. Does it meet NEC code? NO!

The National Electric Code categorizes the inside of well casing as a "wet location" . This means that the wire splice inside the well casing needs to be made in a way that meets wet location requirements. Plain wire nuts, no. Jelly filled wire nuts rated for wet and submerged locations, yes. Submersible wire splices with heat shrink tubing, yes. Polaris connectors, no, Polaris connectors rated for wet and submerged locations, yes.

In Washington state, we are licensed as specialty electricians authorized to work on pumps and irrigation equipment. We get permits and our work is inspected. We will fail the electrical inspection if plain wire nuts are used.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks