Help me select new toilets, please

Users who are viewing this thread

Cheap Dad

Reaction score
Here's my situation. I've got 3 toilets I'd like to replace - 2 Briggs that are likely 20 years old and a now-leaky American Standard Champion. 2 of my 3 bathrooms have a 12 inch rough in. The third bathroom has what appears to be a 10 inch rough in - slightly under 10 inches from baseboard to closet bolts or slightly over 10 inches from drywall to the closet bolts.

To add to the complexity, my existing porcelain in the bathrooms is biscuit, which is an off white. I exploring toilets, I find that I can locate 12 inch rough in toilets in biscuit, but 10 inch is either not available for double the cost. Any thoughts on how I can solve this conundrum?

Edit: I had a nice discussion with a Toto rep on the phone. She advised that they make a 12 inch to 10 inch adapter, but it will only work with certain models. One model that it does work with is the Vespin, which looks very similar to the Drake. Thus, I could buy two Drakes and a Vespin with the adapter to achieve a uniform look throughout the house.

Any thoughts on those adapters? Of course, my concern would be that they would serve as a secondary potential source of leaks.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Biscuit matches TOTO Sedona Beige and American Standard Linen.

In TOTO you can get several models that use and adapter to change the rough. Those toilets come with the standard 12" and also available are the 10" and the 14".
We did one install and the three toilets we installed were 10", 12" and 14". We had the extra adapters on the truck.
The CST454 Drake II and the CST474 Vespin II use the same tanks. The Drake is a standard bowl and the Vespin is a skirted bowl using a the Unifit adapter.
I have never had a problem with the adapters and I have been installing them for years. And I mean lots of them.
The also have the original CST744 series Drake toilets. They have a 10" in white, the C744EF.10 bowl.

cst454-terrylove-01.jpg

CST454CEFG Drake II

vespin_green_2.jpg

CST474CEFG Vespin II

cst744ef-10.jpg

CST744EF.10 Drake 10"
Different bowl, standard tank ST743

Reach4

Reaction score
Any thoughts on those adapters? Of course, my concern would be that they would serve as a secondary potential source of leaks.
I think those are less likely to leak than a regular install. The reason is that the wax seal is not in danger of being lifted. You can add shims whenever you like before caulking. I am not a pro, and I have installed one unifit... but I did an unusual install for about a 13 inch rough.

One less obvious thing is the caulking around most of the base is structural, keeping the toilet front from deflecting left and right. The Unifit only holds the toilet near the wall.

Cheap Dad

Reaction score
Thank you Terry and others who have responded. I’m close to pulling the trigger, but would like to get your thoughts on an alternative.

For context, my pricing of 2 Drake IIs, 1 Vespin II and the adapter is roughly $1600 before tax and installation.

One Kohler Highline and 2 Kohler Highline Arcs will run me roughly $950, possibly less if they are in stock at my local Home Depot.

I appreciate that TOTO is likely the better quality, but is it worth paying one third more?

Edit: I still need to call a local plumbing supply house for pricing. If they can get the price of the TOTOs closer to the HD price on the Kohlers, I’ll pull the trigger. Their website shows a CST744S#12 (Drake I?) for under $300.

Last edited:

Lois Lane

Reaction score
I gave up and mixed the biscuit porcelain tiles on the floor and shower with white sink and toilet. It does not look bad at all. The white is not bright bright white with most brands.

Cheap Dad

Reaction score
As a follow up, my local plumbing supply company has the Toto CST744 for under $300, but it will take 8-12 week’s to get them due to covid. Apparently, the factory in New Mexico that makes them is completely shut down.

Still interested in thoughts on whether the CST454 is worth $200 more ...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks