Thunk....Water Hammer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cobra1365

Reaction score
We had a new submersible well installed last January. Much better pressure and better, but not perfect water. I was going through RO filters sort of quick and ended up installing a Spin Down filter, a 10 micron and carbon Big Blue setup (also have a soda ash system for acidity).

Lately, we’ve noticed a thunk in the far end of the house (bathrooms) when we turn off the sink or when the toilets stop filling. It also thunks there when the washer is running, even though the washer is on the opposite end.

I don’t notice a thunk elsewhere.

Is this something that installing an arrestor will help with?

Reach4

Reaction score
Is this something that installing an arrestor will help with?
Yes. That is the classic case of water hammer, and arrestors at each fast valve helps.

Actually the sink thing is unusual, in that normally sinks turn off slowly, unless you are closing fast on purpose for testing.

If your new system is set for higher pressures than before, that could account for you getting more water hammer than before. Water is moving faster, and when it slams to a stop, bang.

Bannerman

Reaction score
When the new pump was installed in switching from the jet pump to the submersible, were any additional check-valves installed in the drop pipe or directly before the pressure tank?

Many pump installers install additional check-valves claiming they are needed. With a submersible pump, the check-valve is to be only located directly at the pump whereas additional check-valve(s) will often cause the issue you are experiencing.

Cobra1365

Reaction score
When the new pump was installed in switching from the jet pump to the submersible, were any additional check-valves installed in the drop pipe or directly before the pressure tank?

Many pump installers install additional check-valves claiming they are needed. With a submersible pump, the check-valve is to be only located directly at the pump whereas additional check-valve(s) will often cause the issue you are experiencing.

No other check valves.

The washer part is odd to me. I understand putting an arrestor at each toilet. But, where would I put them for the washer if it’s banging on the opposite end of the house? Or could I just put two in each distribution line under the house on the far end?

Bannerman

Reaction score
A hammer arrestor can be integral with the washing machine water service valves or installed on the feed lines just before or just after the service valves. https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/88280/laundry-box-and-water-hammer-arrestor

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Plumbing/comments/as3ms9/do_hammer_arrestors_go_bad_washing_machine/&psig=AOvVaw0VjkhqkKozs8ZzJYOKZfUJ&ust=1610236148213000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwi-jpyew43uAhUKFlkFHV_GC-UQjRx6BAgAEAc

Your pressure tank will also act as a large hammer arrestor, but it is not usually located too close to valves which quickly close such as the clothes washer or dishwasher solenoids or toilet fill valves.

Hammer will cause a shockwave throughout the entire plumbing system. Depending on the plumbing configuration, what you are hearing at the far end, maybe because that is the end of the line and conditions are such that a shockwave caused within the system, is being amplified there.

Cobra1365

Reaction score
A hammer arrestor can be integral with the washing machine water service valves or installed on the feed lines just before or just after the service valves. https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/88280/laundry-box-and-water-hammer-arrestor

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Plumbing/comments/as3ms9/do_hammer_arrestors_go_bad_washing_machine/&psig=AOvVaw0VjkhqkKozs8ZzJYOKZfUJ&ust=1610236148213000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwi-jpyew43uAhUKFlkFHV_GC-UQjRx6BAgAEAc

Your pressure tank will also act as a large hammer arrestor, but it is not usually located too close to valves which quickly close such as the clothes washer or dishwasher solenoids or toilet fill valves.

Hammer will cause a shockwave throughout the entire plumbing system. Depending on the plumbing configuration, what you are hearing at the far end, maybe because that is the end of the line and conditions are such that a shockwave caused within the system, is being amplified there.

That’s what it appears to be. So, then, is it better to put the arrestors closer to the far end or where the flow begins? I’m thinking either way, it’s a trip into my crawl space...just whether I want to crawl all the way to the end and install them in the distro lines just before they turn upwards to the bathrooms. Or, is it best to put one at each of the toilets and the washer?

Bannerman

Reaction score
An arrestor will be usually most effective where the shockwave is produced. For example, water flowing through a washing machine solenoid valve that is suddenly closed, may be considered similar to the energy of a vehicle slamming into a large tree. The kinetic energy must be suddenly dissipated so placing a shock arrestor at the shock source will absorb most of that energy as opposed to 100% being transferred and reflected back through the entire plumbing system.

Your pressure tank will already act as a super sized arrestor at the source of flow.

As you said "Lately, we’ve noticed a thunk in the far end of the house ...", it then sounds if the water hammer issue recently commenced and did not occur directly upon installing the new pump system. Suggest bypassing or removing the 10-micron and carbon cartridges from their filter housings to determine if there is any change to the hammer issue. You might also bypass the Acid Neutralizer to determine if there will be any difference. When there has been a change to cause a symptom without an obvious reason, it will generally take some investigation which may involve elimination to determine the actual source of the issue.

Last edited:

Cobra1365

Reaction score
So, I bypassed the filter system and still have the issue.

I’m thinking I’ll add two arrestors at the washer and two more at the toilets (opposite ends of the house). The next question is will those two on the toilets dampen the bang when the adjacent sinks are shut off?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Items that suddenly stop water flow such as solenoid valves used in a clothes or dish washers and some toilet fill valves, are usually the cause of most hammer issues as they are either fully ON or fully OFF with nothing in between. Sink & bath faucets will not usually cause hammer issues are they are typically turned off relatively slowly with no immediate change from full ON to full OFF.

If you are experiencing hammer when any water flow is stopped, suggest performing a full inspection of your plumbing system to look for loose or unfastened pipes that move and may knock against other pipes. wall studs or floor joists when there is a flow change through that section of pipe.

Last edited:

Cobra1365

Reaction score
Yes, I plan on climbing under the house and checking the bladder tank as well as the piping.

The sink faucets are lever type that turn off within a quarter turn. So, relative quick to shut off.

Groovy8

Reaction score
Please post an update here with your findings.
I have a very similar problem. Thumping sound after turning off the sink or when the toilets stop filling.
We recently had a plumbing reroute due to a slab leak and the plumber assures me that all pipes are secured properly, otherwise they wouldn't have passed the inspection. The plumber suggests replacing shower pressure balancing unit in one of the bathrooms as well as the comfort valve for the Grundfos hot water pump, because when he shut those off, the thumping noise was gone.

Groovy8

Reaction score
Update from my side.

I disconnected the mixer comfort valve for Grundfos hot water pump and the noise went away, connected it back and it started happening again with that specific sink.

For the toilet, I installed an arrestor, and it made the noise less obvious. I think I'm just going to live with it.

Cobra1365

Reaction score
Sorry for the late update!

I installed arrestors on each of the toilets and two on the back of the washing machine.
I climbed under the house and checked the tank. It checks fine. Checked the lines and they are secure.

As stated earlier, bypassed the filter system and soda ash system…no change.

I also bled the lines from top to bottom for any air that might have been in them. Nothing discernible.

It is baffling (sorry for the pun).

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Too many check valves in a water pump system will cause water hammer on pump start, but not pump stop. Water hammer at the end of a line when a valve is closed is caused by having pipe that is too small causing high velocity. When a valve is shut the high velocity water hits it like a freight train hitting a brick wall. These lines are downstream of the pressure tank, so the tank cannot prevent the hammer. Increasing pipe size is a complete replumbing job. Reducing the flow rate to the devices will work. Just close the ball cock going to the toilet and washing machine a bit to decrease the flow rate. The toilet and washing machine will take a bit longer to fill, but there will be no water hammer when the valves close.

Cobra1365

Reaction score
Too many check valves in a water pump system will cause water hammer on pump start, but not pump stop. Water hammer at the end of a line when a valve is closed is caused by having pipe that is too small causing high velocity. When a valve is shut the high velocity water hits it like a freight train hitting a brick wall. These lines are downstream of the pressure tank, so the tank cannot prevent the hammer. Increasing pipe size is a complete replumbing job. Reducing the flow rate to the devices will work. Just close the ball cock going to the toilet and washing machine a bit to decrease the flow rate. The toilet and washing machine will take a bit longer to fill, but there will be no water hammer when the valves close.

Thanks! I‘ll try that today and report back!

Jon3142

Reaction score
I suddenly started having the same problem described above. I have a grundfoss circulation pump and a comfort valve installed at far end of the piping from the pump. Everything was fine, but recently, when the cold water faucet by the comfort valve is closed and the re-circ pump is off, I get 2 thunks of water hammer - thunk thunk. Isolating the hot water supply to the comfort valve eliminates the hammer. Running the re-circ pump eliminates the hammer. A professional plumber has replaced the comfort valve and a broken expansion tank but it has failed to solve the hammer problem and the plumber does not have any further solutions. If anyone has any ideas or anyone above has solved, I would appreciate comments or suggestions. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks