Is span of unused water pipe (connected via Y to active used section) detrimental?

Users who are viewing this thread

redss55

Reaction score
I am replacing galvanized water lines with pex in most of my house, but I plan to avoid replacing a section going to the kitchen which is very hard to replace, so galvanized will still supply water to the kitchen.

This will result in capping off a 15 foot section of galvanized (cold and hot) water supply lines which will not supply water to anything yet still be connected to the actively used kitchen supply via the Y connection

I am wondering if this will be detrimental in the future? To have 15 feet of unused galvanized, full of water going nowhere?

I'll try to insert a picture showing the 15 feet of unused galvanized connected to the 7 feet of used galvanized which goes to the kitchen https://postimg.cc/hJxR6dCR

hJxR6dCR

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
The unused sections of pipe are called "dead legs", and can be a source for bacteria build-up (which can then spill into your water supply). It's best if you remove the dead legs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks