Rinnai - Cold Water Sandwich when recirc is on

Users who are viewing this thread

cTogar

Reaction score
Hi - we have a Rinnai Tankless, RUR98i, installed as part of a new build. It has the recirculation feature, which we have been told should give us instant hot water and avoid a cold water sandwich.

Since we've moved in, we've experienced the following - When the recirc is on, we do get (nearly) instant hot water throughout the house. However, after 30-60 seconds, the water will get increasingly cooler for another 60 seconds. Then it will heat back up again to full heat.

We've been told that this cold water sandwich shouldn't happen with the recirculation on. The plumber, working under warranty, has been largely unhelpful. Any suggestions or similar experiences with this heater? Are our expectations correct?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Does this install use a dedicated return line or a crossover? Don't go by timing only. Most new faucets uses only 1.25 gallons per minute so it can take a long time to push water to the faucet. Older faucets were 2.0 gallons per minute or higher flow rates.

Read page 39. It might answer your question. There maybe a balance of timer, low and high temperatures settings. I do not know much about these units other than what I read from manuals.
https://www.questargas.com/ForEmployees/qgcOperationsTraining/Water Heaters/Rinnai_RUR98i_RUR98e.pdf

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello cTogar, I hope your problem has been fixed.

FYI... Here is a post found by another user that had a problem with a different brand and it fixed his problem of cool water after the initial hot water. It turned out the problem was a check valve I I think it was in the unit. He took it apart and reassembled and it is working. These two postswere for a Navien units and as you read it get quite complicated in the switch settings. It's why I asked if you have a dedicated return or use the cold water line with check valves.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-showers-check-valve-issue.88086/#post-654744
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....nternal-recirculating-mode.86848/#post-628548

cTogar

Reaction score
[QUOTE="WorthFlorida"[/QUOTE]

Thanks WorthFlorida! We had someone else out yesterday, with no luck. They're going to try and connect with Rinnai directly, see if they can help. i'll take a look at these threads and pass them along. I'm honestly not sure if the return is dedicated or not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks