16% Cross link resin??

Users who are viewing this thread

Reader90

Reaction score
Okay, new to me in a conversation with someone here in LV. I am having a new TH built, purchased and taking possession next week, as a rental. City water, ~15/16 grains of hardness I was over at the property and was approached by a water softener company about their products and services. As I am in the market now for another water softener, I listened. He pitched to options:

1. Softener only, 1 cu ft system as property is small, ~1,350 sp ft, 3 br --- i was good with that.
2. Hybrid, one tank with 1 cu ft resin + coconut carbon resin for clorine removal. i know these exist, I have never done a one tank/valve system, i have done two tanks/valves for each media (I have two today, one Clack valve/tank setup and other Fleck 5810 valve/tank -- resin/carbon in each tank, respectively).
3. Then, he said his systems use 16% cross linked resin. I have never heard of 16% before, but rather 8 or 10%.

2 questions:
1. 16% cross linked resin??
2. Comments/opinions on going with a hybrid system, pros/cons (I assume less expensive with less parts/labor, but what about performance and maintenance down road?

Can anyone on here comment?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Reach4

Reaction score
1. 16% cross linked resin??
Honest mistake, or intentional fabrication, I would think.

I am not saying it is not possible, but I would want some technical documentation.

Reader90

Reaction score
Yeah, I wonder -- as I replied with something like.... "Hmm -- I am familiar with 8 and 10% cross linked resin, and never heard of 16%". I then went to Google to do some homework. Nothing apparent. Came here to post/ask. Pretty sure I will go the PM route here for a system. Tough market here, especially for Fleck valve based systems.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I doubt they are using 16%, this resin is considered "specialized" and has no real function in a municipal supply. 10% will eventually break down ina municipal chlorinated supply, but 10-20 years is certainly not unusual. As to the Hybrid, if it is done correctly, they are very good. If they just mix the media into the tank with the resin, this is not good but it is common. A midplate vortech plate or a stacked tank design are superior to the blended design.

Reader90

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for comments. Most likely moving forward with a Hybrid combo resin/carbon w/ Clack WS1 valve, Vortex type tank. Dealer I was talking to admitted he made mistake on the 16% cross link resin. He actually got back to me with a text message saying he was wrong. Said he did some homework and realized he was wrong.... Go figure....

Reader90

Reaction score
Update. New "Hybrid" system is installed (one tank, one Clack Ws1EE valve, both 10% crosslink resin and carbon). All working very well. My tenants love the water and piece of mind that the chlorine is being removed too!!

Thinking I may need to look at the rate or regen/flushing as I am used to two separate tanks.. May be overthinking this, but I assume this is a downside to a hybrid tank (which I needed for space constraints). I assume I can reduce the salt regen amount and force a regen at a timed interval, e.g. 10 or 14 days (to both regen the resin, but also flush the carbon). I am monitoring the water usage and time (days) and will consider any optimization opportunities.

Any other thoughts from folks that have hybrid systems?

Bannerman

Reaction score
What is the quantity of softening resin?
What is the quantity of carbon?
Is there a midplate divider to keep each media separated as Ditttohead mentioned?
What diameter is the media tank?
What Drain Line Flow Control (DLFC) is currently installed?
What is the water hardness?
Number of users?

The regeneration frequency will be conditional on the softening capacity to be regenerated.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
With the mid plate or stacked designs, the frequency will be based on the softener capacity. Backwashing carbon in a municipal application should typically be done monthly in most applications, more frequent will not hurt it at all. Most softeners have a limited capacity that is usually used up within a month so the hybrid designs are typically easy to set, just base it on the softener.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks