Outdoor Gas Tankless - Distance From Windows / Doors

Users who are viewing this thread

LeoD

Reaction score
I want to install an outdoor, condensing, tankless water heater to replace a 20 year old tank-type that's on its last legs. Easiest installation would be in the same location as the old one to make use of the existing connections. (Current tank-type is outside, in a metal enclosure, which I'd remove for the tankless.)

I've read and read all the information I can find online but I'm still not sure whether it needs to be 1 foot or 4 feet from windows and doors (or something different.) Installation is in Los Angeles city.

If it's 1 foot, I can use the same location. If it's 4, I'm out of luck.

Does anyone know for certain what the distance needs to be?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
We use the Navien NPE A series outdoors a lot here in N. Calif. The internal mini tank solves so many complaint issues with all the other tankless brands.
If we can't get four ft. from a window in order to use the outdoor vent cap, then we just run two inch pvc up the exterior wall, penetrate the roof and use a roof jack. ez pz.

LeoD

Reaction score
Thank you both. The instructions with the unit included both the 1-foot and 4-foot requirements and no solid explanation which unit they applied to. (The same manual covers both indoor and outdoor versions.) breplum, what you say seems to confirm what I suspected, that the 1-foot clearance standard is for the direct-vent (indoor) model, and the 4-foot for the outdoor model that vents out the front of the unit.

We have lots of windows, so there really isn't a good location 4 feet from a window. I cancelled the order for the outdoor model (which would have been a simple install) and ordered an indoor model instead. I'll construct an enclosure for it outside, and vent it through the enclosure w/ 2" PVC. It looks like I can either go up through the roof, or just out the face of the enclosure. The roof would be surer venting, but it appears going horizontally out the face of the enclosure (the easy way) would meet code. Am I missing anything?

Thanks again!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks