Gas pressure 12 in vs 10.5 in, significant

Users who are viewing this thread

uniberp

Reaction score
I'm installing a Takagi 190k indoor unit, natural gas, and it's leaking a barely detectable amount of gas from inside the case.
I've triple checked the external connections and they are tight, pass bubble tests. It's not possible to locate the leak with liquid, around the electrics, but a gas detector shows it somewhere around the solenoids.

I checked the gas pressure and it is about 12in WC. The max spec is 10.5. This is a tiny difference, but could it possibly be the problem?

I don't want to take a brand new unit apart and try to fix it. I've requested a complete replacement of the unit.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Must be on lp just adjust the pound to inches regulator. 1.5" more is only 10% shouldn't create a leak but heater gas valve would have to be readjusted. Main should be lowered.

Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Definitely replace. It should be able to handle that pressure, leak wise.
I never deal with LP so don't know static pressure listed requirement, but ought to be leak free no matter what.
Definitely lower your pressure to the spec'd in. W.C.

uniberp

Reaction score
I found the problem, there was a crack in the iron pipe. See pic. You can see the rust from where I previously soaked and soaked and soaked the joints with soap fluid, but no bubble ever formed before this. I can't figure that out, but maybe it was initially such a tiny crack that the gas stream blew right through the soap, or that it was such a small leak that it would only form after a few minutes, after the soap dried too much to bubble. IDK. It was right there in front of me this time. I think it widened.
130751356_10208039860149886_4776633571168656602_o.jpg

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
I found the problem, there was a crack in the iron pipe. See pic. You can see the rust from where I previously soaked and soaked and soaked the joints with soap fluid, but no bubble ever formed before this. I can't figure that out, but maybe it was initially such a tiny crack that the gas stream blew right through the soap, or that it was such a small leak that it would only form after a few minutes, after the soap dried too much to bubble. IDK. It was right there in front of me this time. I think it widened.
130751356_10208039860149886_4776633571168656602_o.jpg

I had a tough one like that once. A pinhole in an cast elbow in the crawlspace. Took forever to find...real real slow leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks