Bathtub sprout pop out while switching to shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Hodori

Reaction score
My bathroom renovation was done 2 weeks ago by my contractor.
Everything was good except yesterday, during the shower, when I tried to switch the water flow from the sprout to shower, bathtub sprout just poped up... it was disaster but anyways...
My bathtub faucet is Moen Danika.
I checked the pipe where the sprout connects, it looks like straight copper without thread at the end. The Moen sprout is the "threaded tub" type. Not sure how my contractor connected this sprout to the pipe, but i can't put it back. Probably he glued it but due to the water pressure, it poped out...
My question is... if I can't contact my contractor, how to fix this by myself? Obviously i need to "make" this straight pipe to threaded at the end so I can put the sprout and screw in.
What option do I have?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20201117_165611.jpg
    20201117_165611.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 20201116_203421.jpg
    20201116_203421.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 20201117_165531.jpg
    20201117_165531.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 157

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
We call it a tub spout without the "r".
The "male" to copper adapter was not properly attached. Soldering is the normal way.
Your installer may have used the unique "Just for Copper" product which is like a one part glue and maybe it failed.
Get someone to solder or buy the product mentioned if you can get the threaded adapter out.
You can also purchase a tub spout that uses simply the copper stub like you have and a small allen screw tightens the whole thing.

Hodori

Reaction score
We call it a tub spout without the "r".
The "male" to copper adapter was not properly attached. Soldering is the normal way.
Your installer may have used the unique "Just for Copper" product which is like a one part glue and maybe it failed.
Get someone to solder or buy the product mentioned if you can get the threaded adapter out.
You can also purchase a tub spout that uses simply the copper stub like you have and a small allen screw tightens the whole thing.

Thanks for the correction. :)
I'd like to keep the same "Danika" collection in the bathroom, so the option to replace the tub spout is not suitable. To solder the connection, I need someone who can do it, probably a plumber but I'll keep it for my last resort.
About the threaded adapter, what should I look for? I believe that copper pipe is 1/2'.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
With copper a sweat joint only. Look inside the spout if there is a threaded nipple. The end of the copper pipe was cleaned for a sweat joint but it never was. The contractor might have wedged the pipe into the threads of the spout and it held in place. There are spouts that uses a set screw to hold it on a straight pipe of copper but it won't match up as far as the finish.

This is an alternative but a bit expensive, brushed nickel that uses a set screw. You may have to cut the pipe back some. DANCo might have one of the same finish.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/MOEN-Mo...Connection-in-Brushed-Nickel-3808BN/100665839

male.jpg
brushed-nickel-moen-tub-spouts-3808bn-64_145.jpg

Hodori

Reaction score
With copper a sweat joint only. Look inside the spout if there is a threaded nipple. The end of the copper pipe was cleaned for a sweat joint but it never was. The contractor might have wedged the pipe into the threads of the spout and it held in place. There are spouts that uses a set screw to hold it on a straight pipe of copper but it won't match up as far as the finish.

This is an alternative but a bit expensive, brushed nickel that uses a set screw. You may have to cut the pipe back some. DANCo might have one of the same finish.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/MOEN-Mo...Connection-in-Brushed-Nickel-3808BN/100665839

View attachment 67970
brushed-nickel-moen-tub-spouts-3808bn-64_145.jpg

Yes, inside of spout, there is a threaded nipple. The 1st picture that you showed, looks like an adapter. Is it an adapter where you put the straight copper pipe at one end and other end becomes a threaded nipple? What should I search from the web for that kind of adapter?

Hodori

Reaction score

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you install your tub spout with a sharkbite or push fitting, you will never be able to remove it. The spout will spin and spin and never come off.

tub-spout-solder-extension-2.jpg

For a threaded on spout

delta-rp33794-terrylove-01.jpg

For a Delta spout that takes this adapter, no soldering needed with the set screw.

Last edited:

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Google 08-1061 spout adapter. This will allow you to keep your original spout with a slip connection.

lasco-08-1061.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You're going to need a long needle nose pliers to get the nipple out of the spout. Or using a extension and 3/4" or 5/8" socket to get on the hex head of the nipple. I'm not sure of the exact size of it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks