Navien 240A slow hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

bigdevil

Reaction score
Hi i have been reading about prolonged wait time for hot water.
this is the same experience i’m having with the Navien240A,
All new copper system, I am using
cold line with Grundfos value in furthest vanity for recirculating.
The valve is set to recirculate, DIP 2 on peramitor 17 on. Photo shows plumbing with check valve. Tenant still says wait time is over 2min. and water to shower not full hot. about 64 lf of copper. am i missing something?
upload_2020-11-16_10-41-23.jpeg

Bannerman

Reaction score
Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Have you enabled thermal bypass valve parameters (P17)?
Set the 2-way valve to External.
Adjust pump cycle interval time maybe (P12)?
I see you did not install either of the recommended shut off valves on the return line. Not recommended. You want to be able to both service that flex line if needed. The NavCirc is designed for Navien's function better than Grundfos'.

bigdevil

Reaction score

bigdevil

Reaction score
Have you enabled thermal bypass valve parameters (P17)?
Set the 2-way valve to External.
Adjust pump cycle interval time maybe (P12)?
I see you did not install either of the recommended shut off valves on the return line. Not recommended. You want to be able to both service that flex line if needed. The NavCirc is designed for Navien's function better than Grundfos'.
Thanks i didn’t change P 12 it is default now should i change value?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Although your return valve is not Navien's, the settings appropriate for a cold water return loop are specified in the NaviCirc manual at the link provided.

bigdevil

Reaction score
Although your return valve is not Navien's, the settings appropriate for a cold water return loop are specified in the NaviCirc manual at the link provided.
What do you think about P 12 it is at default 20 minutes should i reduce time? would that increase hot water duration? Thanks

Bannerman

Reaction score
The setting used when utilizing a Hot Button to activate the pump is 5 minutes. I haven't searched to compare the flow rate for the Grundfos valve vs the NaviCirc but you might attempt a 5-minute setting to determine if sufficient for hot water to arrive at the Grundfos location. Every home's piping configuration is unique so if 5 minutes is longer than needed or insufficient, then the setting could be altered by 1-minute at a time to reevaluate the following day.

As these valves utilize the home's cold water plumbing lines for the return loop back to the water heater, the valve is designed to shut off return flow once sensing only 95-100℉ otherwise the cold water lines will become too warm. Because the return valve will be stopping flow at that temperature, do not expect the hot water from the faucet will be initially very hot even with a substantially higher WH temperature setting or longer run time for the pump.

Last edited:

bigdevil

Reaction score
The setting used when utilizing a Hot Button to activate the pump is 5 minutes. I haven't searched to compare the flow rate for the Grundfos valve vs the NaviCirc but you might attempt a 5-minute setting to determine if sufficient for hot water to arrive at the Grundfos location. Every home's piping configuration is unique so if 5 minutes is longer than needed or insufficient, then the setting could be altered by 1-minute at a time to reevaluate the following day.

As these valves utilize the home's cold water plumbing lines for the return loop back to the water heater, the valve is designed to shut off return flow once sensing only 95-100℉ otherwise the cold water lines will become too warm. Because the return valve will be stopping flow at that temperature, do not expect the hot water from the faucet will be initially very hot even with a substantially higher WH temperature setting or longer run time for the pump.
thanks

bigdevil

Reaction score
Thank you that was helpful.
I have a new related question.
The tenant is saying she hears a
“ wirring” sounds at the bathroom at night. Does anyone know is the Grundfos valve could make a sound like that? I inspected installation and valve was secure and only heard faint water running sounds during pump cycles.
Thanks for any feedback

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks