Gas and water

Users who are viewing this thread

Volts44

Reaction score
I have a 3” PVC pipe below the frost line running from my house to barn can I run a gas line and water line in the pipe together

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think Gas can run with water. Probebly will require tracer wire , perhaps labeling So not totaly with out restriction. if gas is running under the building or other "Structure / or walkways covered or open other codes apply too in my (upc) code . but as a general question I think the 3 inch pipe is a sleeve and dont think code prohibits them in a sleeve together

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gas has to be separated from electrical by 14" under ground.

What type of gas pipe/tubing do you plan on using? Steel has to be specially coated and as mentioned above, plastic gas needs to be ran with a tracer wire which you don't want to wrap around the pipe. Just lay in the trench in a light wave pattern

some codes allow gas to enter under ground some want the gas pipe to daylight and enter at least 6" above grade.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
no mention of running electrical water and gas in this sleeve or entering the building. but there are many related factors . I had a serious issue on a school in Los Angeles Unified , I asked boss about running gas from one building to next underground we installed per plans but I asked him what about running under the walkways and patios. after it was in backfilled concrete poured the LA unified inspector caught it and code at that time treated like its inside building (sleeved , sealed , vented ) Can of worms . I agreed with inspector (but kept to myself) on code interpetation.
BTW OP has an existing pvc he wants to use I think he has no intention or desire to dig a trench but just guessing. If your pulling a permit ask inspector , he might not allow it or might want to see the depth etc.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
OH.. I read that as using the PVC as a water line and separate run for gas... both in the same Sleeve?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
OH.. I read that as using the PVC as a water line and separate run for gas... both in the same Sleeve?
I think thats the plan. didnt mention what kind of pipe the gas or water would be. I think a provision is made in code that seperation be allowed to work on the pipe and not a specific distance but basicaly . Also even if not governed by code some sort of labeling would be prudent for general safety with gas? I am sure a lot of people think its my property I wont forget so I want him to know that he should give it serious thought perhaps run water through the sleeve or a cable tv or security wire. but properly run a gas line per code and safe practice

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks