Two horizonal drain pipes at different heights feeding into vertical drain stack in kitchen

Users who are viewing this thread

Sdel

Reaction score
Hi I am looking for advice. I am remodeling kitchen in Florida and have two stubbs at different heights sticking out of concrete block wall in kitchen. When I removed a part of the cinderbock, there are two horizonal drain pipes running about 32 and 40 inches to vertical drain and vent stack? I can post pictures as I do not know if I am explaining this right. I will be installing a single kitchen sink but confused as to why two pipes? House was built in the early seventies.

20201111_081414.jpg 20201111_081405.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
What is on the other end of the pipes?

Sdel

Reaction score
One may have been for a dishwasher.
Interesting that they combined ABS and PVC together. Those don't mix well.
Thank you for responding, I am not a plumber but it didn't look right. What happens when you have the two types together? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They do make a special glue for that. My inspectors don't like it though, so I have never used it. I don't see that you're having any issues with yours though.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Way back in the fifties, in the beginning of dishwashers, they wanted to try to use a separate pipe for them.
Modern plumbing codes do NOT utilize any of that.
Modern dishwasher drain hose runs into kit.sink cabinet where it hooks up to a dishwasher air gap or sometimes with a high loop, directly to the drain.
Alert: 1. The copper water supplies are inordinately high and should get lowered. 2. The drain looks awfully high.
I would get a plumber to bring this plumbing up to snuff and add a cleanout as well. Kitchen sinks are required to have a cleanout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks