Bathroom group wet vent question

Users who are viewing this thread

DanFL

Reaction score
I have a DWV plan as shown in the attached image (IPC in my area). I was originally going to connect the shower drain with a 2" vertical wye as shown, but I don't have the clearance under the slab. Can I instead use a horizontal wye as shown? If yes, which position is correct: wye #1 or wye #2.
bathroom dwv.png

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Position #2. [Edit: but see below, you can't have a vertical shower wye.] The vent connection to the horizontal wet vent should have only one fixture upstream of it, in this case the toilet.

Some say that both the shower wye [Edit: definitely] and the lav wye should be rolled to be horizontal. I don't believe the IPC explicitly requires that [Edit: for the lav] but it is common to do it that way.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You might rework your picture. I presume the slab is horizontal, so how are you representing a horizontal wye?

DanFL

Reaction score
Thanks for that fast reply Wayne. Can I roll that wye #2 to 45 instead of horizontal? That area is tight on space horizontal will be a problem.

Would this be a better option? I have room for this.
bathroom dwv 2.png

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
How does horizontal space get tight under the slab? Or is it just to avoid breaking more concrete or removing more soil?

Anyway, oversight on my part, the shower wye has to be horizontal to comply with the trap weir rule. [Edit: in your original drawing, the fitting marked with an X would have to be a san-tee, not a wye. Then I think that would be acceptable layout, with the shower vertically wet vented, and the toilet horizontally wet vented.]

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
To follow up:

The most conventional horizontal wet venting arrangement would be take everything in the red box in the last picture and roll it 90 degrees to be in a horizontal (2% slope) plane.

Failing that, you need to at least roll the 3x2 wye flat if you don't want to get into the issue of whether you can interleave horizontal and vertical wet vent segments without restriction or whether you can have only one vertical wet vent followed by one horizontal wet vent. Most would say the latter, and that is standard practice. I think the IPC doesn't spell it out so I'm agnostic.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
Anyway, oversight on my part, the shower wye has to be horizontal to comply with the trap weir rule.
I don't see that. I think that the shower is vented fine in #4. The question is is the toilet then vented OK also?

DanFL

Reaction score
I spoke too soon regarding the image in post #4. I just dry fitted that and it won't work.

Just so I'm clear on the rolling horizontal, that means the 3" line and the 2" line are in the same plane, i.e. at the same depth below the slab (whereas with the wye rolled to 45, the 2" would be slightly higher)?

The horizontal space is tight because I was trying to avoid breaking more concrete to widen the trench (currently 12" wide). I should be able to dig more soil out underneath without cutting though.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
In your original diagram, if you replace the "X" fitting with a san-tee, does that fit?

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't see that. I think that the shower is vented fine in #4. The question is is the toilet then vented OK also?
That was in reference to the original diagram.

There is a little controversy as to the shower vent in #4, some people say the wye has to be flat, although I don't find any support for that in the text of the IPC or UPC.

Cheers, Wayne

DanFL

Reaction score
Regarding the san-tee, I thought about a street san-tee, but still too tall. I'm planning to proceed with your advice above on rolling the 2nd wye flat.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Regarding the san-tee, I thought about a street san-tee, but still too tall.
One last possibility--relative to diagram #1, rotate the "X" wye 45 degrees CCW and swap its position with the 45 shown directly after it.

I'm planning to proceed with your advice above on rolling the 2nd wye flat.
Relative to diagram #4--that should work.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks