Iron and Manganese removal with Katalox

Users who are viewing this thread

Bannerman

Reaction score
Rapid Rinse will flow downward through the media at the same high flow rate as the BackWash cycle. That high flow rate will push some of the air added to the tank down through the media to the lower basket where it will be pushed out to drain. To keep the maximum amount of air in the tank, forgo the Rapid Rinse cycle.

Rotaris

If its not broke, fix it until it is!
Reaction score
UPDATES AND BIG TRIVIA QUESTION FOR YOU ALL:
Katalox removing iron but not manganese,

Gave the Katalox and dose of 1/2 cup to 10 gallons of water through the Air injection port. Let it sit 8hrs.
Lots of brown water was seen after a 8 hr soak. This is watching backwash water, clears up at 1 min in backwash.
Week later manganese in Raw water is .09 mg/l
It is .14 mg/l after the filter.
So this is two tests, one before bleach shock and after, same results?
What is going on here???

Reach4

Reaction score
UPDATES AND BIG TRIVIA QUESTION FOR YOU ALL:
Katalox removing iron but not manganese,

Gave the Katalox and dose of 1/2 cup to 10 gallons of water through the Air injection port. Let it sit 8hrs.
Lots of brown water was seen after a 8 hr soak. This is watching backwash water, clears up at 1 min in backwash.
Week later manganese in Raw water is .09 mg/l
It is .14 mg/l after the filter.
So this is two tests, one before bleach shock and after, same results?
What is going on here???
I am not a pro. I would try a stronger bleach solution... maybe 2 cups of vinegar into 10 gallons of water . Then mix in 2 cups of vinegar. Don't mix the vinegar and bleach directly, because that will generate chlorine gas. https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/98324/safely-lowering-bleach-ph-without-chlorine-gas

Higher pH makes bleach more stable. They add a strong alkali to the bleach in the bottle. Lower pH makes the bleach more active.

Working outside would be best, but otherwise, ventilate well.

Rotaris

Reaction score
Thanks Reach, anyone else have this sort of thing happen, I wonder? Really ticking me off. Adding a softner next week and would like to resolve this first? Hope its just media,is done, who knows?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks Reach, anyone else have this sort of thing happen, I wonder?
I don't remember anybody talking about the manganese problem.

My idea was that maybe a more active bleach solution would help, but maybe the better answer would be a more acidic soak without the bleach.

Bannerman

Reaction score
What test kit are you using to test the manganese level?

I don't recall if you stated the pH of the raw well water.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I did not read the whole chain here but..

You ran bleach through the media, then tested for manganese a week later and it showed positive? Sounds like what I would expect. KL and other similar medias require a very specific chemistry to reduce iron, manganese, h2s without an added oxidant. In particular pH, ORP and DO all need to be determined to know if the media will work without an added oxidant and even then a pilot test is advised and intermittent bleaching of the bed is advised.

Rotaris

Reaction score
I did not read the whole chain here but..

You ran bleach through the media, then tested for manganese a week later and it showed positive? Sounds like what I would expect. KL and other similar medias require a very specific chemistry to reduce iron, manganese, h2s without an added oxidant. In particular pH, ORP and DO all need to be determined to know if the media will work without an added oxidant and even then a pilot test is advised and intermittent bleaching of the bed is advised.
I will work on getting those numbers somehow, P.H.7.7 I will work on getting D.O. and O.R.P. Live in small town in middle of no where. I will buy some sort of testing equipment or something.
Iron usually .8-1.3 before Katalox, then 005-.14 after. So it is getting most of the iron...FYI

Top of thread shows some water tests from years back if this helps any Ditto?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Years old water tests are not overly useful. Water tends to change over time. As to KL removing all of the iron, manganese etc... when my dealers are looking to try to save money and simplify the process, they will sometimes go with KL without a regenerant with the understanding that some type of oxidant may be needed at a later date if the system does not perform well enough. This can be as simple as installing a valve set up for renerant and not using unless necessary, or by adding a micronizer between the well pump and the pressure tank, or by adding a flow meter and chemical injector later... many options. Ignore the hype of KL. It is a good media but a regenerant is needed more often than not. Air, chlorine, H2o2, ozone etc are all commonly used.

Rotaris

Reaction score
Thanks very much Ditto, worked well for Five years. So well in fact that it was not maintained! This was due to me just not knowing. The media is 5 years old and still looks O.K. ????? The only reason I have the ever thing tore apart is I am adding a softner.
I realize water changes, except mine, I get it tested as far as normal tests go for the last 20 years, does not seem to change.
Manganese is the one I have to have sent to a lab and get results 1 month later. The hatch manganese tester is so expensive. Maybe I will try the strips?
Side tracked again, I will get more test equipment and report back with all updated results. Thanks again.
Can you answer why Manganese is higher after filter? Have you seen this? Clackws1 10x54 Air injection

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks