American Standard boiler

Users who are viewing this thread

Carmin

Reaction score
Hi all: I have a American Standard boiler model # 2b se j2 GPH 60. I have posted before on this site and the experts have been extremely helpful with their knowledge and insights. Once again I am thanking everyone in advance for their assistance.

The current issue is I don't know if the problem is the boiler or the thermostat . The boiler is an American Standard boiler model # 2b se j2 GPH 60 model which for the last few years has been working fine after some issues were solved by this forum back in 2017. The thermostat is an Honeywell programmable which also has been problem free. I did have to replace the standby batteries this year after the unit went dark with no power.

The problem is after I reset the thermostat and programmed it to cycle on on off as before it does not turn the boiler on at the selected time. An example is it is set to turn the heat on in wake mode at 6 AM but even though it shows the setting the boiler does not turn on. I can use the temporary setting and say turn the thermostat on and the boiler will turn on and respond accordingly. It will then turn off after the temporary period of time is reached. I can really use your advice as how to proceed and to narrow down if the problem is the boiler or the thermostat. Thank you again Ciao

Fitter30

Reaction score
Pull the battery wait 5 minutes and reprogram if the stat will turn the boiler on manually and off by time it might be in the weeds. With cover off look at what color wires are on what termial.
If you know how to use a volt meter at the boiler there will be a terminal strip or wires in a junction box where the stat wires connect. Two stat wires red and white if stat is calling for heat 0 voltage if not calling 24 volts.

Carmin

Reaction score
Pull the battery wait 5 minutes and reprogram if the stat will turn the boiler on manually and off by time it might be in the weeds. With cover off look at what color wires are on what termial.
If you know how to use a volt meter at the boiler there will be a terminal strip or wires in a junction box where the stat wires connect. Two stat wires red and white if stat is calling for heat 0 voltage if not calling 24 volts.
Hi Fitter 30: Thank you for the reply and suggestion to correct the problem. From what you suggested as a solution does it seem as if the issue is with the thermostat ? I will try your solution today and report the outcome. Once again thank you very much Ciao

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
An example is it is set to turn the heat on in wake mode at 6 AM but even though it shows the setting the boiler does not turn on. I can use the temporary setting and say turn the thermostat on and the boiler will turn on and respond accordingly.

If it comes on manually every time you try and won't come on by following its programming, the thermostat is causing the issue. That's good.. Power cycle the batteries as Fitter suggested and make sure you have the AM and PM right when reprogramming it (not being insulting, I did that once!).

John

Carmin

Reaction score
If it comes on manually every time you try and won't come on by following its programming, the thermostat is causing the issue. That's good.. Power cycle the batteries as Fitter suggested and make sure you have the AM and PM right when reprogramming it (not being insulting, I did that once!).

John
Hi John: Thank you for your suggestion. It is not insulting to suggest to check the AM PM time. I did check it twice before I posted.
I took the unit off and changed the batteries but I still have the issue, I guess that rules in the thermostat being bad. How complicated is replacing the unit? Do I need to cut the power to the unit before I take the wall connected part of the unit off? Thanks again.

I do have one question for both you and Fitter 30. The thermostat only provides heat no ac is hooked up to this unit. There is a switch that says (Fan/ auto) what setting should it be on? What is the difference? Thanks once again to both you and Fitter 30 for helping me figure out what is going on.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Fan/ auto doesn't matter what position. Yes turn power off to the boiler. With cover off stat wiring exposed take a pic of the wiring and make a note of color of wires and the letter of the terminal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks