Are there any real benefits to using low wattage heating elements?

Users who are viewing this thread

Atomic1

Reaction score
I have hard water with an electric water heater and thought I'd give a low wattage element a try because it was marketed as great for hard water. These elements fold back on themselves to gain the extra surface area. After 2 years I decided to pull the element to clean out the tank of sediment and found that the dang thing had warped and unfolded, making it impossible to remove, not to mention that I had as much sediment as usual in the tank (up to the bottom element).

It begs the question, why do people use these types of elements if they really dont cut down on the sediment and are a pain to remove?

Atomic1

Reaction score
Hugh? I'm talking about low watt density elements. You can get, for example, 4500 watt elements in normal watt density and low watt density. Same wattage, just more surface area so the energy transfer is done at lower temperatures and in theory produces less solid byproducts.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Low density elements will last longer but do nothing to minimize the deposits in the tank. Some elements do not require immersion in water so they will still operate when submerged in the deposits. They are just not efficient when it happens.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks