5600sxt settings and water to salty

Users who are viewing this thread

dainiuss

Reaction score
Hello Gents,

My current system:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OGN3162/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
After using my fridge dispenser i see salt stains? Anyone have this problem?
I test with Hach-b and water is fully soft.
Water hardness before softener 15GBG.
My water softener settings:
Fleck 5600SXT Settings:

DF = Gal ; Units
VT = dF1b ; Downflw/, Single Backwash, black cam
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
NT = 1 ; Number of tanks
C = 22.8; capacity in 1000 grains
H = 15 ;
RS = rc ; rc says use gallons vs percent
RC = 120 ; Reserve capacity gallons
DO = 14 ;
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
BW = 5 ; Backwash (minutes)
Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
RR = 5 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 4 ; Brine fill minutes
FM = ____0.7 ;

I have feeling my water way to salty.Any suggestions why? Thank you !

Reach4

Reaction score
I have feeling my water way to salty.Any suggestions why? Thank you !
I think you may be saying that if you let water from the fridge dispenser dry, there is some residual. That may be normal. You did not say the water tasted salty.

You might want to buy a cheap TDS meter. Those are useless for measuring softness. The softened water will have about the same TDS as the raw water, or a little higher. That is normal. So if your $10 (give or take) TDS meter showed the TDS of the softened water to be a lot higher, then further troubleshooting is called for.

dainiuss

Reaction score
Thanks Reach ! ordering TDS now.
yVmF47h
picture of salt stain. https://ibb.co/yVmF47h

Reach4

Reaction score
I would say normal. A damp cloth probably wipes that clean. Salt would wipe clean.

A reverse osmosis unit will remove salt and other stuff, but a little salt is not going to hurt you. If you get an RO, don't route the water thru metal pipe, and do feed it with your softened water.

Your softener is set for a very salt efficient setting, using about half as much salt as what would get you softer water. If you ever wish the water was softer still, it will be an easy reprogramming.

The less salt per cubic ft, the more salt efficient, but more hardness breakthrough.

Revised based on number from https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-for-programming-fleck-5810.82673/#post-595983 Note 5600SXT can only do whole numbers for H, so you should omit (truncate) the decimal.

BLFC = 0.5
cubic ft resin = 1.5

Alternative C and BF pairs:
lb/cuft ; C= ; BF= ; grains/pound of salt
2.000 ; 15.0 ; 2 ; 5011; too lean for most people.
3.000 ; 20.7 ; 3 ; 4610
4.000 ; 25.1 ; 4 ; 4191 ;your current but with revised C
5.000 ; 28.7 ; 5 ; 3820
6.000 ; 31.5 ; 6 ; 3503; common lower salt but good softness
7.000 ; 33.9 ; 7 ; 3231; good setting between 6 and 8.
8.000 ; 36.0 ; 8 ; 2997; common reasonable salt with better softness
9.000 ; 37.7 ; 9 ; 2795
10.000 ; 39.3 ; 10 ; 2617; more salt use, but softer still.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
A softener does not reduce TDS (total dissolved solids). While the white solids residue you observe will contain some sodium, the residue will also contain the other elements that were originally dissolved in your water which the softener cannot remove.

Why is your capacity setting only 22,800 grains? The link you provided shows a 1.5 ft3 softener.

With 1.5 ft3 of resin, the usual recommendation is 36,000 grains usable Capacity which will require 12 lbs salt. Hardness reduction efficiency: 36,000 / 12 = 3,000 gr/lb

If you wish higher efficiency, there will be a slight water quality penalty (higher hardness leakage), then a 31,500 grain usable Capacity setting will require 9 lbs salt. Hardness reduction efficiency = 3,500 gr/lb.

Your current settings: 22,800 / 6 lbs (4 minute BF X 0.5 GPM BLFC X 3 lbs/gallon) = 3,800 gr /lb which will allow approx 12 ppm of hardness leakage.

Last edited:

dainiuss

Reaction score
First thing:
Yesterday i tested water with TDS meter:

- raw water 282 ppm
- after water softener 280 ppm

Pretty much same. What`s mean softener does n`t add any more deposit to my system what`s GOOD.

I`m running 4.000 ; 25.1 ; 4 ; 4191 settings because after testing i don`t need to add hardness reagent and count because its right away BLUE. It`s surprises me but its only two person in my household.

Your current settings: 22,800 / 6 lbs (4 minute BF X 0.5 GPM BLFC X 3 lbs/gallon) = 3,800 gr /lb which will allow approx 12 ppm of hardness leakage.

I should have leakage but BACH hardness testing does n`t show that. That`s whole problem...

Second thing:

Anyone can recommend under-sink ro-ro system with some minerals ? I spending 4$ per week for purified water at costco.

Thank you guys !

Bannerman

Reaction score
TDS is not the same as hardness.

Because a softener uses an ion exchange process, the calcium and Magnesium ions that are removed are replaced with sodium ions. A TDS (total dissolved solids) meter does not identify which solids are being measured, but only estimates the total amount regardless of the type. Depending on the amount of hardness and other water conditions, the TDS number will sometimes increase once the water has been softened.

When programming a softener, a hardness test kit such as a Hach 5-B is usually utilized. That test will measure total water hardness, reported in grains per gallon. 1 gpg hardness equals 17.1 ppm hardness so the 12 ppm leakage mentioned is the hardness amount that is expected to 'leak' through the softener, not TDS.

While ppm hardness is most commonly reported by testing labs, there are test kits also available that are capable of measuring the lower ppm level, but those are not commonly used for residential applications. Although the hardness level for residential is usually not critical, water containing 12 ppm hardness can feel vastly different than water with 6 ppm hardness even as both contain less than 1 gpg hardness. While not everyone enjoys the slick feel of softened water, others that do often have expectations.

Because your softener's capacity setting is lower than recommended for a 1.5 ft3 unit, it will regenerate more often than needed. Not only will the control valve and resin be subjected to increased wear and tear, a greater amount of water will be consumed each month/year for regeneration.

Reach4

Reaction score
I`m running 4.000 ; 25.1 ; 4 ; 4191 settings because after testing i don`t need to add hardness reagent and count because its right away BLUE. It`s surprises me but its only two person in my household.
Congratulations.:cool:

Longer term you will probably find that the hardness rises, especially when the gallon countdown on the display gets lower. You can always switch to one of the other settings if that happens.

dainiuss

Reaction score
Congratulations.:cool:

Longer term you will probably find that the hardness rises, especially when the gallon countdown on the display gets lower. You can always switch to one of the other settings if that happens.

How you thing if i would change my regeneration time from 15 days to 28, it would help to see hardness faster?
I was using 28 setting with my Carbon filter which start causing bad smell in water. Sanitation in brine tank didn't help, after that i just removed carbon filter and change to 15.
How H - hardness setting really effect my regeneration ?
My city well data for iron:
Iron 8/6/2018 0.22 0.0513-0.22 1 ppm No This contaminant is not currently regulated by the U.S. EPA. However, the state regulates. Erosion of natural deposits. Excessive iron in water may cause staining of laundry & plumbing fixtures & may accumulate as deposits in the distribution system. This contaminant is tested every 3 years.

I`m running 4.000 ; 25.1 ; 4 ; 4191 settings for at least 1 month, never saw that hardness would raise up. Strange.

Bannerman: "Because your softener's capacity setting is lower than recommended for a 1.5 ft3 unit, it will regenerate more often than needed." if i running of lower consumption its generates more frequently ?

Reach4

Reaction score
How H - hardness setting really effect my regeneration ?
The count-down on the meter is initially (C/H-R) where R is the reserve. Each night at 2am (default) if the countdown is at zero or past zero into the reserve, the softener regenerates. So higher H makes regen happen sooner.

You might want to set the RT to 2 am for the iron filter (quick regen) and 2:3o am for the softener (regen over 1 hour).

Bannerman

Reaction score
Although the water the city supplies may have contained iron initially, the city will have added chlorine or Chloramine for bacteria control. Chlorine will oxidize ferrous iron, converting it to ferric iron (rust particles) which will be usually eliminated before the water arrives at your home, but if any rust particles do remain, they will be removed by your back washing carbon filter.

When was the carbon media last replaced?

if i running of lower consumption its generates more frequently ?
Not certain what you are asking. The Capacity I was referring to, is related to the amount of soft water the softener will provide before regeneration will be needed. A higher capacity setting will provide a greater amount of water before regeneration will be needed.

Consumption is the water your family uses. When water consumption is low, it will take longer for the softener's capacity to be used compared to when water consumption is high.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks