New bladder tank or CSV valve with small tank and Grundfos sq200

Users who are viewing this thread

quartermilecamel

Reaction score
Ok here's the total situation: Well x trol tank bladder busted after 2 years.....found out zero warranty because I installed it myself. I originally set it up for 40/60 pressure and tank bladder set at 33 psi. Worked great...until now. Really don't want to spend 250 for labor just to have somebody replace bladder tank, which IM not even sure why it failed. I don't have tons of sediment coming out, just the typical rust in water.
Well yesterday I discovered online that there are cycle stop valves. Their claim to fame is they reduce pump cycles a lot and also keep the pressure at about 50 while your using water. This seems like a win win situation. Not sure what the csv valve innards look like or how durable they are to well water but seems good. My Grundfos pump is the Grundfos sq200 soft start pump with a 3 inch diameter which fit in my well. I don't see any reason why my pump wouldn't work well with a cycle stop valve but haven't confirmed this yet. Even if the csv fails, its only 190 at cyclestopvalves.com which I'm fine with since there probably wont be any warranty with it(assuming a pro has to install it for warranty). Its better than paying a pro to soak you for close to 300 for labor.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The CSV1A works great with SQ pumps. If your tank is bad just get the PK1A kit that comes with the CSV1A valve, new 4.5 gallon pressure tank, pressure switch, gauge, relief valve, wall mount kit, and fittings. Not only will we warranty any of it even though you install it yourself, we will even give you your money back if you don't like it for any reason. In 28 years we have never had one returned because someone didn't like it.

Better yet, send me that Well-X-Trol tank and I will get it warrantied for you. That is a load of bull about not getting warranty because you installed it. You certainly don't want to spend the money on labor to have someone replace it if they don't know as much about it as you do. :)

quartermilecamel

Reaction score
I think I have all the parts but would really like to have a coupler or union style that I can dissconnect the well 1 inch plastic hose when I want to. I have seen the regular manifold tees that have the coupler built in to the tee. I dont think lowes will have one in the 1 inch size and their hose barb fittings are all plastic. I hate plastic. If you screw with it, it breaks, easy to cross thread. Going to try to hit up my one well guy that sold me the pump and see if I can get the metal fittings I need. They selll all kinds of water products but hes not very eager to sell me the metal version of the fittings I need. Says I dont need metal. I just love it when I am told I dont need something. I always modify/change/reroute ect what ever Im building or making.

quartermilecamel

Reaction score
yes I use 2 clamps per joint. 3 if possable. Will the plastic barbs and elbows hold up temporarily till I find the metal ones. DArk gray 1 inch barb to 1 inch npt and the barb elbow? Im not sure those will hold up to 150 psi.

quartermilecamel

Reaction score
found brass fittings at homedepot online......hose barb to hose barb and elbow and hose barb to npt......all say 100 psi which is lower than what cycle stop valves told me. Said to expect head pressure at 150. not sure where to get fittings rated for that.

Reach4

Reaction score
found brass fittings at homedepot online......hose barb to hose barb and elbow and hose barb to npt......all say 100 psi which is lower than what cycle stop valves told me. Said to expect head pressure at 150. not sure where to get fittings rated for that.
Strange. What is the part or url for one of those?

If you are not dangling a pump from that, I would think regular length would take two worm gear clamps, with the worms on opposite sides.

But if you want extra-long consider https://www.deanbennettsupply.com/insert-fittings.html https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/search/~SEARCH_STRING="extra long" barbed?searchText="extra+long"+barbed While on those sites, take a look for union tank tees.
I don't know why HD carries only 1-1/4 for the extra long.
water-source-pump-adapters-fittings-xlma9125nl-64_145.jpg

quartermilecamel

Reaction score
she found one of those super long barbed fittings at local plumbing supply....but only 1.I might just have to get that store to get more in.

quartermilecamel

Reaction score
just installed. pressure drops off and goes to zero and stays there due to square D low pressure switch cutout. pump does kick on but its soft start. so it takes 3 secondish. IM wondering if the super small tank is not enough to pad the time between 44 psi kick on and the time the pump starts.

quartermilecamel

Reaction score
I wonder if I need to just ditch the low pressure cutout of the square d switch and use my non lever one (2 years old)

Reach4

Reaction score
I wonder if I need to just ditch the low pressure cutout of the square d switch and use my non lever one (2 years old)
Three seconds is a lot.
Try putting the air precharge to 5 psi below cut-on. Then turn the nut on the smaller spring on the pressure switch 1 turn CCW. That may totally loosen that spring.

quartermilecamel

Reaction score
what does trying it at 30 vs 38 psi do? I know normal psi for a tank is like 2 to 3 psi below cut in pressure . Is the 38 standard 40/60 psi just a starting point? Pros and cons? Does the bladder in the tank stretch more at 30 cycle wise?
Yes, its normal operation since day 1.......cut in click from switch.....soft start happens seconds later. Sitting here debating which to try first. lower psi to 30 or just ditch the switch or both.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Lower tank air pressure first. That will get you going until you can get a regular pressure switch. With a regular pressure switch you can add air pressure to 2-5 psi below cut in and the bladder won't strecth as far and tank actually holds more water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks