Hooking up new sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Tcn

Reaction score
CBB123AC-5D46-406C-89B7-99A4A8AA35C6.jpeg

I have a sink drain pipe coming out of my wall that is 9.75 inches from the top of pipe to the top of cabinet box where the counter will be. The pipe is 1.5 inches in diameter. What would be the maximum depth of an undermount sink that would be able to hooked up properly to this pipe?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I should know this but i dont there are variables though ,depth of sink, type of drain assembly, pop up verses std drain but either way Ill tell you this.... That pipe is up there and could be too high typical lavs 18 or 20 off floor . choose your sink and figure out . good chance its too high

Tcn

Reaction score
I should know this but i dont there are variables though ,depth of sink, type of drain assembly, pop up verses std drain but either way Ill tell you this.... That pipe is up there and could be too high typical lavs 18 or 20 off floor . choose your sink and figure out . good chance its too high
Hi Jeff - Thanks for taking a look and the response. The concern is picking out the sink as the granite needs to be cut to the sink template. Any idea if there would be a maximum depth based on the top of the sink being 10.5 inches from center of outlet assuming standard drain? Or worded diffrently a minimum depth between bottom of sink and center of outlet drain. It will be a sink for a bar not a lav. Thanks

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi Jeff - Thanks for taking a look and the response. The concern is picking out the sink as the granite needs to be cut to the sink template. Any idea if there would be a maximum depth based on the top of the sink being 10.5 inches from center of outlet assuming standard drain? Or worded diffrently a minimum depth between bottom of sink and center of outlet drain. It will be a sink for a bar not a lav. Thanks
because I dont know youll have to choose a sink and drain and read the specs. I think you can find one that will work but verify since its not a popup on a lav I think youll be ok but Im sure the tail piece wont be very long

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Common granite is available in either 2 or 3cm thicknesses, which will also play into your equation. It will also depend on what drain basket is used on the bottom of the sink, so it's not easy unless you have all of your pieces. Today, many people want to get deeper sinks. Shallower ones are still available, and are less expensive, but less useful in some situations.

You'd need probably at least an inch below the basket of the drain plus, 1/4" per foot for the line from the outlet of the trap to the wall once you've attached the elbow on the outlet of the trap.

Tcn

Reaction score
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/best-kitchen-sink-drain-flange.27536/ talks about getting a shallow drain basket to help a bit. It has some links that have dimensions I think.

When you say depth, you mean to the underside? A stainless steel sink will not be as thick as a granite or marble sink.
Thanks for the feedback. By depth I meant height of sink bowl. The material would be stainless so i wasnt considering the material thickness as a huge factor and going more off the height listed on manufacturer spec sheet. I was hoping to be able to go with 7” but that does not seem feasible when also considering the drain basket.

Gagecalman

Reaction score
To be clear this is a kitchen correct? I've seen lav mentioned.
Single bowl or double? Garbage disposal?
Based on your info the center of your drain is about 24" above the floor. With the added depth of the strainer I think that's too high.
It would’ve been nice if the plumber put in a clean out.
I'm not a plumber.

Tcn

Reaction score
To be clear this is a kitchen correct? I've seen lav mentioned.
Single bowl or double? Garbage disposal?
Based on your info the center of your drain is about 24" above the floor. With the added depth of the strainer I think that's too high.
It would’ve been nice if the plumber put in a clean out.
I'm not a plumber.
Its a bar area in basement. Not Lav. Single bowl. No disposal. Not sure why plumber installed so high. I have never installed a sink so it didnt cross my mind. I didnt think to check on heights. Plumber was licensed local company so i trusted them to do it properly without me having to research how high a pipe should be to double check their work. Its a disapointing learning experince.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
9.75 inches from the top of your box to the center of the drain? Yikes... that doesn't leave you with many options especially if you plan to undermount the sink. You may want to consider lowering the drain now before you place a countertop and get really boxed in.

With slip joint trap you will need 3.5 inches from the bottom of a sink with a shallow strainer to the center of the drain. That leaves you with sink options that frankly I don't think exist.

Tcn

Reaction score
Can you call the plumber back out to correct it?
It is in the basement so the drain line was ran through the studs to connect to the main drain along wall. Everything has already been drwalled and painted. All the cabinets would have to come out and drywall removed and replaced.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldn't professionally install this setup unless I was desperate... but desperate times call for desperate measures.

The problem here is that the trap floods the slip joint connection to the basket strainer. I provided the spigot version of the swivel adapter as a demonstration only. I would get the hub/female version and add whatever length of pipe to match your scenario.. But as you can see a 9-5/8 deep undermount sink could almost reach.. so anything shallower would work.. and work better if the trap weir is under that basket strainer connection.

sink.jpg

Tcn

Reaction score
I wouldn't professionally install this setup unless I was desperate... but desperate times call for desperate measures.

The problem here is that the trap floods the slip joint connection to the basket strainer. I provided the spigot version of the swivel adapter as a demonstration only. I would get the hub/female version and add whatever length of pipe to match your scenario.. But as you can see a 9-5/8 deep undermount sink could almost reach.. so anything shallower would work.. and work better if the trap weir is under that basket strainer connection.

View attachment 66778
Thanks for the reply and visual. Im not a plumber but I think anyone would agree that looks dicey. I have found some 6 inch undermount depth sinks as well as 5 3/8 Depth undermount that is ADA approved. Based on everything it seems like either of these should work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks