Installing Ring Floodcam above garage

Users who are viewing this thread

Boris

Reaction score
I need to install Ring Floodlight Cam above the 2-car garage 2-story house (outside is brick). The walls inside are finished w/sheetrock and height is approx 10ft. The power outlets (non-gfci) located next to both sides of the garage doors inside in the garage. If we don't plan to sell the house in the near future, it is my understanding that following the code is not necessarily required. I might be wrong about this. I was quoted $400 and up (labor included: was looking only for certified electricians) to install by the code: add a switch, run Romex inside metal flex to the power outlet around one of the garage doors. Including the camera's cost is almost $700... I'm contemplating buying Utilitech Pro 25-ft 12/3 3-Prong SJTW Heavy Duty Lighted Extension Cord, run it on top of the wall around the garage door (obviously securing with 7/16'' coax staples) and to the power outlet next to the garage door. This extension cord is rated water and flame resistant.
1. Is this a big NO in the electrician world? I do have rudimentary experience changing power outlets and installing GFCIs in my house :)
2. Should I replace the regular power outlet with 15 Amp 125-Volt Combo Self-Test Tamper-Resistant GFCI Outlet and Switch

p.s. forgot to say that circuit breakers on the panel are labeled 20amps. house built in 1991

Last edited:

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure who told you that following the electrical code isn't required, but that would be wrong. Improperly installed electrical leads to electrocution, house fires, personal injuries and worse. $400 to deal with brick and sheet rock in the garage isn't unreasonable. If you don't want to spend the money to install the floodlight cam the right way how about installing a Ring Wired spotlight cam? It has a plug and cord already attached. No Electrician needed. Saves $500!

Boris

Reaction score
I'm not sure who told you that following the electrical code isn't required, but that would be wrong. Improperly installed electrical leads to electrocution, house fires, personal injuries and worse. $400 to deal with brick and sheet rock in the garage isn't unreasonable. If you don't want to spend the money to install the floodlight cam the right way how about installing a Ring Wired spotlight cam? It has a plug and cord already attached. No Electrician needed. Saves $500!
Ring Spotlight cam has the same idea. You still have to run the Ring's power cable along the wall secured and to the power outlet inside the garage. How is that different using an extension cord (see my original post)? Not much difference imho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks