Plastic washer for closet bolt bending

Users who are viewing this thread

Hightechburrito

Reaction score
Just installed a new Toto Drake II toilet, and noticed that since the holes in the base of the toilet are so large compared to the plastic washer for the decorative cap, that the plastic washer starts bending before the nuts feel very tight. The order I have things installed is (from toilet going up):

1) Plastic washer that came with toilet
2) Metal washer that came with closet bolts
3) Nut that came with closet bolts
4) Plastic cap that came with toilet

Since the metal washer isn't much larger than the holes in the toilet, the plastic washers end up bending a bit as the nuts are tightened. If the washers were any larger then the caps wouldn't fit over and clip onto the plastic washers.

The toilet sits very stable on the floor and doesn't move or rock at all when trying to push it around so the bolts are holding is securely, but I was initially a bit concerned that the nuts didn't seem to be snugging up. They do tighten up to the point that I can't move the tip of the closet bolt by hand, but they don't 'feel' as tight as I would have expected.

I'm assuming Toto knows what they're doing, and since they supplied the toilet, washers and caps it's all fine.

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You're pretty much describing how all toilets are installed.
It's fine.

closet-bolts-terrylove-04.jpg

closet-bolts-terrylove-05.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pretty much what Terry said. But if you're concerned, buy a couple thicker washers at the hardware store. The washers that typically come with cheap bolt kits are really thin and pretty much always deform.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Re: toilet mounting hardware. Most commonly sold items in that department is cheap crap and unfit for the purpose.
They sell a great deal of the crap, I suppose because most folks just don't know any better.
Throw out the substandard stuff immediately, even if that's what came with the toilet.
Insist on solid or chromed brass or stainless steel for the metal parts. No "brass plated" or "chromed" steel or other imitations!
The cheap stuff will begin corroding immediately, and will shortly turn into a solid mass of rust, and will require a hacksaw to remove.
The 5/16 " bolts and washers are much preferable to the 1/4". You can feel how much happier your toilet is with the stouter bolts, I swear!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks