Sprinkler Winterization

Users who are viewing this thread

Doug Cole

Reaction score
We have a new sprinkler system that was just installed but it does not look like there is a way to winterize it (blow it out). In the basement there is no way to drain the sprinkler feed (blue valve) from the main,

20200925_151841.jpg

and at the outside plumbing there doesn't seem to be a way to attach a compressor. Am I missing something?

20200925_152201.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Colorado?
I think a drain needs to be added to that. Something you can put a short hose on so that you can drain into a bucket. Washing machine hoses work nice for that.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are correct, there is no way to blow out your system. :eek: The installer should have provided some method for an irrigation contractor to hook up his compressor to your system. On mine there is a T below the backflow preventer. One side of the T goes to the backfow preventer and the second goes to the water source. The third is a threaded female 3/8" with a male 3/8" plug in it. After I shutoff the water from within the house my contractor removes the plug and attaches a hose from the compressor on his truck to my irrigation system.

I'm not sure what your plans are for blowing out your system but if you plan to DIY with your own compressor (think high CFM compressor here) you could just add a faucet in the basement above the cutoff and when the cold temps hit you can tie in your own compressor through the faucet.

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I used to work for a sprinkler system installer many years ago. He always installed automatic drain valves at the low point of each zone. When you do this, you don't need to blow out the system with compressed air.

My system in my house has these; I have never had my system blown out in 24 years and never had a problem. We routinely get temps below 0 in winter.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
This was probably (url below) the same company that did the installation. When the horizontal pipe is not level nor pitch in a direction for drainage age and no drain valve, as recommended by FEBCO, I don't see how the operator of this irrigation company can have a licensed or state certificate to work on irrigation systems. Both jobs look nearly identical.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....prinklers-through-backflow.89626/#post-644251

Doug Cole

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input. I didn't think it was plumbed correctly, but since I'm not an expert thought there might be something I was missing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks