C Carbon Backwash system suggestion

Users who are viewing this thread

amoncarter

Reaction score
I'm new at this and trying to identify relevant info from these amazing discussions but have given up and need to ask for help.

I have city water (chloramine) and so am looking at the CCarbon backwash solutions. I don't need the softening solutions that seem to be driving a lot of similar threads. The wife hates the feel of soft water so salt is out...

I have 3 baths/4 people. so that seems to be a 1.5 to 2.5 size scenario. I started with the BB filters but after reading this forum, realized the size of filter and exposed media is significant to have any effect so I'm looking at whole house backwash choices but I'm lost in the discussions of valves and tanks in terms of quality/price/reliability.

Fleck/Clack seem to be in softening, so who should I be looking at for a good valve/tank choice or a complete system from a specific vendor, if the media in my case is not resin but just C Carbon.

I'm planning to add a scalecutter conditioner downstream before it gets to my tankless, as its now sold by Rinnai and I'm assuming that its legit but wanted to ask if anyone saw any issue with that.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Carbon's filtration ability will be most effective with a flow rate between 1-3 gpm per cubic foot of media. A range is specified as some contaminants such as Chloramine are more stubborn to remove than others so slower flow through the media will provide longer contact time for the adsorption and catalyzation to occur. For this reason, for point-of-entry filter system applications, it's always best to use the largest quantity of carbon for your usage flow rate.

You didn't state the diameter of the main water supply line for your home. The diameter should not be reduced when connecting water treatment equipment so the supply line will determine the appropriate control valve model needed. Both Fleck and Clack manufacture filter system backwashing valves appropriate for supply lines ranging from 3/4" up to 1.25".

Both Fleck and Clack utilize approved dealers so a good starting position for a vender will be generic water treatment dealers local to your area.

As your home is equipped with a tankless WH, depending on the water hardness, you may wish to re-consider using a true water softener. While non-salt conditioners can be effective for reducing scale accumulation, they are typically most effective when the water is circulated so the minerals that cause scale will remain in suspension.

When not accustomed to soft water, the texture may feel odd initially, but most people become accustomed fairly quickly as it becomes the new normal.

Hard water minerals (calcium and magnesium) combine with soaps and shampoo to form a sticky curd residue such as the soap ring that forms around a bathtub or sink. Without the sticky residue adhering to skin and hair, the slick feeling is actually the natural softness of the skin/hair and the oils contained.

Detergents and shampoos are formulated to soften water, but with no hardness remaining in the water, less detergent will be needed for not only bathing but also dishwashing and laundry. As whatever detergent that is used will rinse way more thoroughly, clothing is usually noticeably brighter, softer and fluffier without detergent residue.

amoncarter

Reaction score
thanks for the reply.

I have 1" pipe so that shouldn't be an issue. And buying the biggest tank I've seen online (60" tall?) is something I can fit physically so that gives me the max media I can bring to bear on my system.

I was hoping for some actual specific model numbers that do well for my application or pointers that will inform my purchasing decision, as to tanks or valves to avoid but I understand if that's not possible. Anything that will help me navigate the numerous websites all claiming they have the best.

Fleck on the Pentair website has one dealer for my zipcode (I've reached out) and the Clack website doesn't even list dealers so starting at the manufacturer seems like I'm not taking advantage of this forum's expertise.

I'm just looking for a CCarbon solution, I am not going to win the soap feel battle. For what it's worth I have a built in recirc in my hot water loop so hopefully it won't be sitting in one spot for very long. We don't use tubs so my hardness battles is mostly manifested on showerheads and faucets.
I am knowingly denying myself the additional fluffiness of soft water laundry which is not enough to counter her negativity toward the water feel.

I feel like I could plumb this thing myself if I knew what to get.

Bannerman

Reaction score
The appropriate tank size for 2 ft3 of media will be usually 12" diameter X 52" tall with the control valve added to the tank height.

For 2.5 ft3 media will be typically a 13" X 54" tank.

For 3 ft3, a 14" X 65" or 16" X 52".

For a Clack based system, the WS1 valve is suitable for a 1" or smaller supply line whereas the WS1.25 valve for 1.25" or smaller.

For Fleck, the 5810 will be appropriate for a 1" supply line and 5812 for 1.25" and smaller.

While local generic water treatment dealers usually install the systems they sell, they may be willing to sell a system which you can install yourself.

One problem with buying online is dealers will often include a great, high-quality valve which is paired with a cheap, low-quality tank and other components, to be $1 cheaper than the next online dealer. This is part of the reason why both Clack and Fleck have mostly discontinued selling to online dealers other than for older model valves.

Dittohead is a distributor of water treatment equipment with clientele across the country. He will occasionally PM a poster to recommend a dealer in their area.

Here is a link to Ditttohead's catalogue page which shows Fleck 5810 carbon systems.

https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/44-45

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks