Closet flange that fits inside 3" pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

pecck

Reaction score
Hey all, I've got a bit of an issue on my hands that I need some guidance. From the pic you'll see that I've cut off my old rusted out closet flange and now I'm stuck. I've been trying to drill off the outer wall to attach a new flange but I'm not really making much progress. Is there a flange that will fit inside of the pipe instead of outside? Or any other suggestions? I'm open to anything at this point.

Thank you all.

Attachments

• flange.jpg
    flange.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 2,695

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, they make closet flanges that fit inside the pipe, outside pipe and inside of hubs.
There should be quite an assortment at the hardware store for that.

You looking for 3" inside fit if that is a 3" ID pipe coming up.

pecck

Reaction score
Yes, they make closet flanges that fit inside the pipe, outside pipe and inside of hubs.
There should be quite an assortment at the hardware store for that.

You looking for 3" inside fit if that is a 3" ID pipe coming up.

One would think, I've been to Ace, Lowe's, Home Depot and a local specialty plumbing store and nobody has such a thing. I've also search the internet and couldn't find one. Perhaps I don't know what exactly to search because all I could find is the typical over a 3" pipe closet flange.

If someone could send me a link to what I need or tell me what I should be searching for I would greatly appreciate it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've used this one before. A bit long, but can also be cut to size.

neorest-install-03.jpg

Sioux Chief Push Tite

And there is also this one.

index.php

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you could put a repair ring around the PVC that you have remaining. That would hold the closet bolts in place. It would have been better if you had more PVC left, but you probably have enough.

Maybe you could plug the ring of holes with epoxy glue or silicone sealant.

Last edited:

Houptee

Reaction score
Home Depot in NJ stocks Oatey Twist N Set flanges very similar to the one Terry posted pic of. They are up high on the self the clerks probably don't even know they have them.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It appears that your old flange was an outside pipe fitting. The ring of PVC holes was part of the old flange. You can see the primer along the seam and it has a slightly different color. On a 3" PVC pipe SCH 40 the outside diameter is 3.5" and inside diameter just a hair over 3". Have you brought home a 3" inside flange for a dry fit check? Just google " 3" inside toilet flange".

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/resource-center/pvc-pipe-dimensions-18-through-24/

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
An inside fit 3" flange will work okay with some toilets, but not all. That extra 1/2" or so smaller diameter means any waste needs to be pointed more closely down the drain rather than trying to turn at the last moment. Some toilets do that well, some try to turn 90-degrees right at the flange, and those may not.

pecck

Reaction score
I found a 3" inside fitting flange, but is doesn't fit. It's so close to fitting I don't understand what is going on. I feel like the plumbing gods are playing a prank on me.

Attachments

• flange 2.jpg
    flange 2.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 1,652

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
My guess is that the remnant of the old toilet flange has a slightly smaller inner diameter than a 3" schedule 40 pipe. After checking that the the 3" inside flange really does fit a piece of 3" pipe, I'd chamfer the top corner of the existing opening, and then sand/scrape/otherwise relieve the inner surface of the remnant toilet flange until the new flange fits.

Cheers, Wayne

pecck

Reaction score
My guess is that the remnant of the old toilet flange has a slightly smaller inner diameter than a 3" schedule 40 pipe. After checking that the the 3" inside flange really does fit a piece of 3" pipe, I'd chamfer the top corner of the existing opening, and then sand/scrape/otherwise relieve the inner surface of the remnant toilet flange until the new flange fits.

Cheers, Wayne
Okay, off to get some sand paper. I'll get back with an update. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
I found a 3" inside fitting flange, but is doesn't fit. It's so close to fitting I don't understand what is going on. I feel like the plumbing gods are playing a prank on me.
How far below the surface of the floor is the old flange remainder?

pecck

Reaction score
How far below the surface of the floor is the old flange remainder?

I'm not sure, I've been chipping away at it but because of the gap I can't really get in there. Even if I could get most of it chipped off my next issue I thought of would be how to sand it smooth. Best I can figure is I'm left with sanding down a 3" inside fitting flange. Why is this so difficult, ugh. I probably should have left the old rusted out flange alone in the first place, threw a new ring over it and called it a day. Live and learn I suppose.

Attachments

• flange 3.jpg
    flange 3.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 1,816

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I interpret the inside of the opening in that photo as being about ~3/8" of height of old flange fitting, then a short pipe segment ~3", then a (hubbed) elbow. So I would think only that top ~3/8" is obstructing the new inside fit flange.

Cheers, Wayne

pecck

Reaction score
I interpret the inside of the opening in that photo as being about ~3/8" of height of old flange fitting, then a short pipe segment ~3", then a (hubbed) elbow. So I would think only that top ~3/8" is obstructing the new inside fit flange.

Cheers, Wayne
That's an interesting take on my issue. Instead of sanding down the new closet flange you're suggesting I may be able to get away with sanding the inside of the pipe. I'll give that a shot first, sounds like a lot less sanding to me and that's music to my ears.

Reach4

Reaction score
To measure what I was asking about, you would put a long straight thing, like a level, across the gap, and measure down to the top of the pvc from the bottom of the level.

I see you have removed more PVC, so my idea of the repair ring is probably no longer practical.

So lets say you get PVC pipe glued into the remnants of the old flange? What then? What will the flange rest on and attach to? Do you plan to put wooden spacers in place, or to pour concrete?

For cutting the overhang, a curved rasp might be better than sandpaper, at least for some of the material removal.

I agree.

I am thinking that a common 4x3 closet flange was glued inside of 4x3 spigot closet elbow. Is that how you think the current situation came to be? That would explain the 3.5 inch ID. Now suppose that is the case, suppose the PVC removal continued, with possible an enlargement of the hole in the subfloor. Then an outside 4 inch close flange could go onto that closet elbow.
white-pvc-fittings-c48072clhd43-64_145.jpg
That would be if the horizontal pipe below is a 4 inch pipe, then it could just be a spigot elbow or even a hub-hub elbow with a piece of 4 inch pipe glued in. Each of these ideas would still have PVC down there that could accept a 4 inch outside closet flange.

Pecck, don't start cutting to act on this theory until you get confirmation. If that were the case, there are nice outside 4 inch compression closet flanges that can go to various depths.

Plumbest or Code Blue outside compression closet flanges:
C40420* 4 pipe x 2 depth
C40430* 4 pipe x 3 depth
C40440* 4 pipe x 4 depth

Compression means no glue. Easy do-overs.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
My interpretation of the existing condition is: (remnant) flange with 3" hub -- 3" pipe segment -- 3" elbow. There are clearly two different glue joints visible inside the pipe in the photo.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
My interpretation of the existing condition is: (remnant) flange with 3" hub -- 3" pipe segment -- 3" elbow.
OK. I was misinterpreting.

I somehow got to mistakenly thinking that the picture on #10 showed 3 inch pipe almost fitting the hole, rather than that being the long tail of an inside flange.

A 3 inch Pipe Parana could remove an outside 3 inch closet flange. Expensive however. https://www.plumbingsupply.com/toilet-flange-removal-tool.html

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks