Wall Mounted Toilet - Opening a Can of Worms?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like time well spent. That all looks awesome and top notch!

And now I know what the recess in the toilet is for. Toilet paper...

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
Looks like time well spent. That all looks awesome and top notch!

And now I know what the recess in the toilet is for. Toilet paper...
LOL...I considered going with the other bowl (AP?) with the concealed fasteners. I'm not really sure why I didn't. I guess the whole project was getting so complicated, I just wanted to apply the KISS principle where I could.

I also didn't get the auto-opening lid or the auto-flush system. But the bidet does have a motion sensor and it pre-moistens the bowl whenever someone walks past :)

The only thing remaining is to install a simple fixed shower panel (no door). And the vanity fabricator needs to come back and replace the LED's under the vanity that he accidentally fried. 12V light strips don't play well with line voltage :(

Oh, and the one downside of choosing Toto vs. Geberit is that Toto doesn't offer a matte black flush actuator. I'm thinking about removing the SS actuator and taking it to a vinyl wrap shop to see if they can make it look proper with some matte black vinyl. I can always remove it if it doesn't work out.

Onokai

Reaction score
That new carrier has the water outlet for bidet under the bowl which is different than the older carriers. Looks great
The two plumbers for two days is a bit crazy -I did mine in a day and I'm not a full timer. Not sure why these two guys could not punch it out in a day? Maybe and its just a maybe they could not read? so the manual was to many words and not enough photos. I will add that toto Manuals (printed) and the online how to do's (YouTube from Toto) are not the same but it helps to look at both to get it right. The translation is poor at best in printed copy.. The stainless flush plate I think looks great.

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
That new carrier has the water outlet for bidet under the bowl which is different than the older carriers.Looks great
The two plumbers for two days is a bit crazy -I did mine in a day and I'm not a full timer. Not sure whgy these two guys could not punch it out in a day? Maybe and its just a maybe they could not read?so the manual was to many words and not enough photos. I will add that toto Manuals (printed) and the online how to do's (youtube from Toto) are not the same but it helps to look at both to get it right. The tranlation is poor at best in printed copy.. The stainless flush plate I think looks great.
Yes, the shutoff for the bidet is very well concealed. I ordered a matte black escutcheon and also did some digging to see if I could find a compatible matte black quarter turn shutoff. But after seeing the bowl mounted, I realize it's pretty moot as it's barley visible.

I do wish they could devise a better way to configure the electrical connection though. Overall, it's such a clean looking installation that is somewhat marred by the electrical cord hanging off the side. And keep in mind this is the new EP bowl, which allows the cord to pass through the porcelain. But, the seat is so awesome, it makes it a little easier sacrifice some form for function. :D

Don't get me going on the Toto documentation. Believe me, I read everything, printed the latest revision for the plumbers to reference and watched the videos. With regard to mounting the bowl, there was the August 2020 revision of the WT173M carrier manual, the THU343 DuoFit 2x4 Drain kit manual and the manual which came with the EP bowl. All three manuals had some degree of conflicting information.

I said in the beginning, I wanted to find plumber who had experience installing these because (1) I didn't want to be a guinea pig because we all know there's no substitute for experience and (2) and I didn't want to pay by the hour for someone to learn-as-they-go. Of the several plumbers I spoke with, the one I hired was the only one who had any experience installing in-wall carries, though no experience installing the Toto carrier. And he was the only plumber who was seemingly interested in taking it on. In retrospect, I can see why he was willing to take it on. It was a very lucrative job.

The lack of experience installing a Toto carrier wasn't helped by the conflicting, and in some instances, outright incorrect information in the Toto documentation. The plumber commented yesterday that he recently installed another Toto carrier and how much quicker the second install went. So, that homeowner saved a bunch of money because I'd already paid for the plumber to learn.

Such is life.

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
Matte black vinyl on flush plate. We'll see how well it holds up.

tipsmcstagger-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
How did that transaction go?
I assume you're asking if the wrap shop was wondering what the heck this thing was? :p

He kind of chuckled when I told him what it was and was nice enough to wrap it for free, though he said he has no idea how the vinyl will hold up to bathroom cleaning products.

I threw him a few bucks for his trouble. It looks really nice.

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
...One thing you should consider is they are a bit noisy-you can turn off many of the features on the top of line models knocking down some noise. Noisy meaning they wash the toilet during the night and can be distracting to sleep if to close to your sleeping area. I love ours in our full bath.Which is two rooms away from the bedroom...
Well, for a variety of reasons (waiting for furniture to be delivered, waiting for window blinds, extensive travel, etc, etc), last night was the first time I slept in my master since this renovation was completed. My bed is about three feet from the bathroom door and the toilet is about 10-12 feet from my bed.

As reported above by Onokai, I was awoken in the middle of the night by some kind of cycling of the Toto bidet seat. I opened my eyes and saw the bathroom illuminated by one of the lights or indicator lamps on the bidet seat.

I'm going to have to dig through the manual and see if there's any way to "program out" this cycling. If not, I'm going to have to install an outlet switch like this and depower the seat every night prior to going to sleep.

There's no way I can live with it the way it is. My sleep cycle is already interrupted by my aging bladder and the fact that I cross nearly every time zone on the planet on a monthly basis, making it difficult to readjust to restful sleep when I return home. I don't need any added iterrupton to my sleep.

Onokai

Reaction score
I think you may be able to detune that cycling with some loss of the wash down features. I did mention the late night noise

Onokai

Reaction score
Go thru the manual and turn off some functions. The bowl was down does keep the thing cleaner but it being quiet is what's needed. Ours is a room away. The new wall mounted bedroom toilet I have is yet to get a washdown seat on yet due to noise.
Its plumbed and wired so let us know if you can get it quiet

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
I did just run to the hardware store to buy an outlet switch but I now feel foolish for not having looked more closely at the user manual before doing so. For some reason, I thought the seat was simply always "On" when plugged in. There is in fact a power switch on the remote control that allows for the entire unit to be depowered (Page 19 of the user manual found here).

I'm still looking through the manual to see if I can change the passive features through the settings. If not, I'll simply turn the unit off at night.

Reach4

Reaction score
I wonder if the person-sensor is falsing.

Headlights through a window, or curtains moving due to a HVAC blower maybe?

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
I wonder if the person-sensor is falsing.

Headlights through a window, or curtains moving due to a HVAC blower maybe?

I suppose that could be an issue in some circumstances but I don't think that's what's happening here.

I found this in the manual. I'm fairly certain it's these settings that are the culprit:

tipsmcstagger-Auto-Clean.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are lots of features that can be fiddled with if you have the right seqeunce of buttons to press. If the above doesn't do the trick, might call tech support to see if someone can walk you through it. I've had some phone sessions where its more like Mario cart than fixing a seat.. "press the down button for 10 seconds while pressing the left arrow 3 times" kind of thing.

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
There are lots of features that can be fiddled with if you have the right seqeunce of buttons to press. If the above doesn't do the trick, might call tech support to see if someone can walk you through it. I've had some phone sessions where its more like Mario cart than fixing a seat.. "press the down button for 10 seconds while pressing the left arrow 3 times" kind of thing.
I'm traveling again but before I left, I switched-off the auto cleaning function, which silenced the unit at night. This comes at the expense of both the active (motion sensed) and passive (timed inactivity) auto clean being deactivated.

When I'm back home, I'll reach out to Toto and see if there's a way to custom configure the unit to only deactivate the passive cleaning functions. If not, I might try reactivating the auto cleaning functions and simply switching the unit off at night.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
thu468-04.jpg

THU468 Washlet Connection Kit
It converts over the the Washlet supply thread and at the wall fits a 1/2" male thread.

thu468-05.jpg

This one went on PEX from the wall.

thu468-06.jpg

thu468-07.jpg

I did the Washlet install on Mercer Island a Saturday. They were having a hard time getting someone to install it.
In the 70's I lived on the South end of Mercer Island and worked at Mercer Island Cyclery with my brother in-law, Michael Burbridge. Later I got him a job plumbing and from there he wound up working for the city of Bellevue in utilities.
It's always interesting driving down the same roads from so long ago.

Last edited:

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score

I'm definitely glad I chose the newer Toto WT173M carrier that is designed to integrate the Washlet plumbing more cleanly than the earlier models. Although this model still has the power cord hanging off the side, having the supply line there too really makes it look quite institutional, in my opinion.

It would be great if they could devise a code-compliant way to tidy the electrical connection.

One thing I don't like is that the larger/longer Washlet seat lid, when in the up position, lands right in the middle of the flush plate.

tipsmcstagger-02.jpg

tipsmcstagger-03.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are there any plumbers in Bremerton, WA

I might know someone that might take that lead Terry. Let me check with a buddy over there. Know if its installing from rough in or just setting a toilet / bidet on existing? Does bidet have a water supply?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks