Sump pump switches constantly failing

Users who are viewing this thread

Anthony Caruso

Reaction score
My home is only 8 years old and I am on my third sump pump. Every time it is the switch that is going bad. I'm only getting a couple of years out of every product I buy. No matter the horsepower rating the switch still goes bad. My basement does collect more water then normal. I need advice on a product that has a switch capable of heavy use such as something that you would need if you were in a floodplain?

Gagecalman

Reaction score
I've had excellent results using a HydroCheck HC6000 "Hi-Lo Sump Pump Controller" with a manual pump. No floats to hang up and no mechanical switches to go bad. There are two sensors so you can set the on/off height where it works best for your situation and to reduce short cycling.
I've installed the HydroCheck HC6000 in about 8 systems for friends and family. Been flawless for 10+ years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006AU4L4U/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8?smid=A383041HQ944EK&psc=1

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
How is the sump / collection vessel set up? You will get longer life out of your pump/switch if they operate less. Maybe the reservior is too small and the pump has to cycle too often. Enlarging the sump and decreasing the cycles will prolong the life of your equipment.. My sewage ejector and my driveway pump have lasted over 20yrs of constant useage.

CarlH

Reaction score
If the switch on your existing pump is not integrated into the pump you could swap out the old switch for a new one. Not sure if he still posts here but there was a plumber Mark that used to recommend the using the SJE Vertical Master float switch. If you need to get a new pump, get one that does not have an integrated switch. If your current pump has a piggyback plug for the switch then you should be able to just replace the switch. I think one of the recommended sump pumps is a Zoeller without the integrated float swtich. I have a 26 yo Hydromatic pump that had a diaphram switch where the switch failed ages ago. I replaced it with the Vertical Master switch and it has been working fine since. I'll admit that it does not get that much of a workout since it only pumps out condensate and humidifier overflow. I found mine at HD with a different name on it. I'm not sure if their current stock is the same switch since HD is changes things around from time to time.

philliplederer

Reaction score
My home is only 8 years old and I am on my third sump pump. Every time it is the switch that is going bad. I'm only getting a couple of years out of every product I buy. No matter the horsepower rating the switch still goes bad. My basement does collect more water then normal. I need advice on a product that has a switch capable of heavy use such as something that you would need if you were in a floodplain?
I have found that "ZOELLER" pump switches are currently unreliable. I moved into a house with a 50 year old unit that failed. In the past 16 years I have installed new pump switches in the unit and they both failed.

Please understand that if your pump is stuck on (or can be made so) a much more reliable alternative to a new pump is to buy a separate float switch for about $30. I have found that these are very reliable....I installed one in another house and it has not failed in the past 10 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks