Which circuit breaker can I use...

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul Morgan

Reaction score
OK house is 24 years old. I have owned it for 10 years. Above the sprinkler pump is a circuit breaker that is 60 AMP. It attaches to another circuit breaker inside the garage in the panel box. That circuit breaker is 20AMP. So I would assume that the first one to trip would be the 20AMP. Anyway, the 60AMP has gone bad and due to COVID there are no 60AMPS in my area. So can I use a 30AMP or 40AMP or 50AMP??? I assume I can. I don't see why not. But perhaps I am missing something. Thanks.

Paul Morgan

Reaction score
OK house is 24 years old. I have owned it for 10 years. Above the sprinkler pump is a circuit breaker that is 60 AMP. It attaches to another circuit breaker inside the garage in the panel box. That circuit breaker is 20AMP. So I would assume that the first one to trip would be the 20AMP. Anyway, the 60AMP has gone bad and due to COVID there are no 60AMPS in my area. So can I use a 30AMP or 40AMP or 50AMP??? I assume I can. I don't see why not. But perhaps I am missing something. Thanks.
I'm thinking the circuit breaker above the pump is just there to make servicing the pump easy without needing access to the garage. Just a switch and thus why it is 60AMP.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It been a few day since I checked this forum. Above the pump should be a cutout switch or usually named a "disconnect", not a breaker though some do look like breakers. It may be possible that a breaker was used if a cutout was not handy at the time. Below is an example of a disconnect. You'll usually see in the descriptions for air conditioning systems since it is required by code. All outdoor motors and pumps need a nearby disconnect for servicing safety. You are right that most don't want to constantly walk back to the breaker panel everytime and a person may try to work with live wires.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-6...connect-Molded-Case-Switch-DPB222RP/100193214
eaton-disconnects-dpb222rp-64_145.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks