Simple irrigation well...drop down pipe will not come out of casing

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul Morgan

Reaction score
First, I moved this over from another thread under Irrigation. Hope that is ok. I will try to delete the other one. It is a simple irrigation well for lawn irrigation of a residential house. 2" galvanized pipe casing. 1 1/4 pvc drop down pipe. The pvc is thin wall...I think it should be thick pipe....but it is the thin stuff. I wanted to pull the pvc out and look at the foot valve. The well is about 30'. When I pull up on the pvc it gets stuck after about 4 feet. I assume all that is down there is a foot valve on the end of the pipe. I'm thinking after so many years the corrosion on foot valve is bumping into corrosion on the steel casing. Or pvc section coupler is bumping on the steel casing corrosion. Or the pvc pipe has flattened and bumping on the steep casing. I assume it should just come out easy...normally. Anyone know how well companies resolve something like this? Use a lift to pull it out. If it breaks then pound it down into bottom of well, and put in new pipe??? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Try pouring in a little chlorine and let it set for a while. Might shrink the leathers and let it come out easier. Try not to break the pipe. Push down then lift up.

Paul Morgan

Reaction score
Try pouring in a little chlorine and let it set for a while. Might shrink the leathers and let it come out easier. Try not to break the pipe. Push down then lift up.
Went out there this morning and pulled and pulled and it came loose. Got 20' out, overly excited and did not plan. It is the thin pvc and it bent over and broke. I have 10' about down there. So this is hopefully progress. i think I can rig up something to fish it out. thanks for your help.

Paul Morgan

Reaction score
Went out there this morning and pulled and pulled and it came loose. Got 20' out, overly excited and did not plan. It is the thin pvc and it bent over and broke. I have 10' about down there. So this is hopefully progress. i think I can rig up something to fish it out. thanks for your help.
Could not fish it out. Have 27' left in well to top of breakoff. I'm just going over the top with it. thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
If the water level does not fall to the foot valve level, then fine, you won't suck air. For a well that can be sucked dry, a longer pipe is useful. 35 feet is not too much if you can do it. The higher the barometric pressure is, the farther you can suck water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks