Why are solid brass fht hose ends so hard to find now? Only aluminum junk now. Corrosion

Users who are viewing this thread

Pman6

Reaction score
anyone know where to buy real brass fht hose fittings?

The garbage they sell everywhere now is aluminum, and will corrode hose bibbs.

even on ebay they advertise "solid brass", and the description says aluminum.

What can be done to prevent corrosion between bibb and hose end? especially for people who leave the hose on the bibb all the time?

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 150

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Real "brass", which has been the backbone of the plumbing industry for hundreds of years has been outlawed by your government. The problem they had in Flint, Michigan was caused by incompetent government officials. But to pace the blame they decided to make brass, or anything with lead in it illegal. Now as you have seen we are paying several times higher price for much lower quality fittings. There was never anything wrong with good old brass. No telling how many billions this has cost the consumer, not to mention the inconvenience. Just more waste by incompetence in our government.

Reach4

Reaction score
anyone know where to buy real brass fht hose fittings?

The garbage they sell everywhere now is aluminum, and will corrode hose bibbs.
I have not seen aluminium for that, tho that does not mean they don't exist. The common cheap stuff is zinc, another white metal.

Are you actually trying to find something? If so, what? A repair for a garden hose, connection to pex, connection to SIDR pipe? Your picture shows something meant to connect to a garden hose for repair, but clearly you found that already. Are you just lamenting?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Im just using cheap plastic ones around the house they last me better than the crap that was on the hose did . I dont move it arround much either or drop ends on concrete much.
I just bought several and had this ordeal.. Wholsale house was over double for same brand identical item. and 3 or more times more than a nearly identical product from harbor freight. so like 7 or so bucks "wholesale" 3.50 aprox lowes and even cheaper H.F. the three almost the same junk I was caught off guard at my irrigation supply I just threw one in on my purchase only to see price later. Dont you love how whoseale houses assume that the prices dont matter to contractors ? we just pass the cost on

Pman6

Reaction score
I have not seen aluminium for that, tho that does not mean they don't exist. The common cheap stuff is zinc, another white metal.

Are you actually trying to find something? If so, what? A repair for a garden hose, connection to pex, connection to SIDR pipe? Your picture shows something meant to connect to a garden hose for repair, but clearly you found that already. Are you just lamenting?

no. that picture is of an aluminum hose fitting still.

it's what I'm looking for, but I need it in brass

Pman6

Reaction score
Im just using cheap plastic ones around the house they last me better than the crap that was on the hose did . I dont move it arround much either or drop ends on concrete much.
I just bought several and had this ordeal.. Wholsale house was over double for same brand identical item. and 3 or more times more than a nearly identical product from harbor freight. so like 7 or so bucks "wholesale" 3.50 aprox lowes and even cheaper H.F. the three almost the same junk I was caught off guard at my irrigation supply I just threw one in on my purchase only to see price later. Dont you love how whoseale houses assume that the prices dont matter to contractors ? we just pass the cost on

the cheap plastic ones don't strip out the screws in the plastic clamp?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
my hoses last im guessing 6 to 8 years , some probebly 10 years. change ends once or twice a lifetime . maybe Im lucky never paid much attention , im not repairing hoses that often

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks