1" vs 3/4" for potable house supply

Users who are viewing this thread

kvar14

Reaction score
So I'm replacing my well softener/neutralizer/filter setup and was wondering if pipe size mattered in this situation. Currently I have 1" PE pipe (barb) entering the basement that gets reduced to 3/4" after the bladder tank. All the components I bought are 1" (Spin down, CSV, Neutralizer, Softener, Whole house filter), since some things only came as 1" or larger. So just wanted to check if there is any large benefit to piping it all in 1" or just leave it as 3/4" and slap in some reducers on the components, since once I pipe back into the main house supply its going to be reduced to 3/4" anyway.

Reach4

Reaction score
It makes sense to pipe at 1 inch to where the water splits between hot and cold.

Are you using PEX or copper? Copper is bigger ID than pex for a given nominal size.

Last edited:

Terry H

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pex or copper? Is your house above or below the water meter? You can oversize it. Read cavitation.

Also how many bathrooms.

kvar14

Reaction score
Preferably copper to stay consistent, well water, basement below grade, enters about 2 feet from the basement floor, 1.5 bathrooms

Terry H

In the Trades
Reaction score
Preferably copper to stay consistent, well water, basement below grade, enters about 2 feet from the basement floor, 1.5 bathrooms

What kind of pressure and volume do you get from the well? I’d lean towards 3/4 myself. Unless you have a need somewhere else that you aren’t noting.

kvar14

Reaction score
Nothing else worth noting I don’t think, well pump runs 40/60 but is a 1hp ~20 gpm pump (hence the csv)

Reach4

Reaction score
3/4 copper should handle the house fine. Your biggest potential load is that some iron filters use a high backwash rate.

Was there any reason for getting a 20 gpm pump, other than that those are cheap?

kvar14

Reaction score
Came with the house, was noted on the well report as oversized and would short cycle to an early death, but I’ll deal with that when the time comes

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

kvar14

Reaction score
What’s this in reference to, 3/4 copper vs 1” pex? What’s the thoughts here

Reach4

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks