How to wire/install first doorbell transformer in old house

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric M

Reaction score
I want to add a ("smart") doorbell to my house which was built in the 60s without a doorbell (back when knocking was good enough). There is a 2-gang switch box by the door (controlling the exterior and interior entryway fixtures).

My thought is to tap the power from the switch box (where there is neutral and hot), feed 110v up the wall to a new junction box (near the ceiling) and mount a transfer in that box (like the NuTone C915) with a blank plate cover, then run the low voltage output back down the interior of the wall and thru the exterior wall to power the doorbell.

Does this seem like the appropriate approach? Is there a better way?

Stuff

Reaction score
Wiring 120v to a C915 is a good solution. You will need a matching dual voltage electrical box like https://www.lowes.com/pd/CARLON-2-G...ard-Switch-Outlet-Wall-Electrical-Box/3286108 as the low voltage cables come out the front of the transformer.

Why not also install a physical chime? Mount it to cover the transformer. A big reason is that some smart doorbells shorten the transformer's life without one (gives a resistor/load so can't fully short out).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks