Sprinkler zone pressure tank surge

Users who are viewing this thread

tico007

Reaction score
I have a 6 zone irrigation system. No leaks that I'm aware of. Most of the heads have been replaced in recent years. When a zone starts up the water pressure craters for a moment then recovers. The gauge bounces I'm assuming that's the diaphragm in the pressure tank. It's currently set at the factory 38 PSI. The kick on is 40 PSI so I left it alone. Is there anything that I should be doing about this or is that normal operation and I never noticed before?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Depending on your controller, the next zone opens before the current one closes to minimize water hammer. The pressure drops With two open, then the one valve closes, therefore, the pressure increases.

tico007

Reaction score
Depending on your controller, the next zone opens before the current one closes to minimize water hammer. The pressure drops With two open, then the one valve closes, therefore, the pressure increases.
Thanks. It's a 2-hour gap between zones because of the recovery time required for the well. And then it sits till the next day. Maybe that's part of the problem. I have my irrigation so stretched out that the lines are drying out. I do have hilly areas that will likely drain out the lowest head. And it's been very hot here in New Hampshire

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
There are sprinklers that prevent draining at lower levels but for NH, if it is self draining then you don't have to worry much about draining the system for winter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks