Refrigerator leaking onto floor, I can't find out why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve

Reaction score
I noticed water to the right of my fridge a few days ago, mopped it up and thought I was good. The next morning there was more water on the floor to the right. I pulled it out from the wall and checked the hose and saw no water. Really strange. I turned off the icemaker and remove the hose to the fridge. The next day more water was on the floor. Smelled kind of like fish and when I mopped it and rinsed the mop in the sink there was colored water coming off the mop. If I'm having a water leak, why is there color? And why the smell? Inside everything looks good. The last few days I keep seeing water that is kind of sticky on the right side? ??

leaking-fridge.jpg

Bannerman

Reaction score
Inspect for blockage in the drain tube which carries melt-off from the freezer compartment to the drain pan.

If the drain tube is not blocked, there may be blockage in the drain fitting of the drip tray located below the evaporator coil inside of the freezer compartment. The drip tray will collect melt-off from the evaporator coil while the unit is undergoing each defrost cycle.

With hot, humid weather, additional frost will buildup on the evaporator coil, some of which may form solid ice. Any ice that drops into the drip tray may not fully melt before the defrost cycle ends and cooling resumes. Ice could then block the drip tray's drain fitting and will refreeze with any undrained water when the cooling cycle resumes.

Before dismantling the freezer to access and inspect the drip tray drain, suggest first shutting the refrigerator off and open the freezer door to allow the freezer interior to warm which should melt any residual ice that has accumulated in the drip tray. The door may need to remain open for possibly 2 -3 hours but the process would potentially be accelerated if frozen food is removed and a fan is used to blow warm room air into the freezer compartment.

There is no guaranty ice buildup is blocking the drip pan drain, but it can be a common issue during summer conditions if the freezer door has been open an expended time. If ice is the cause of the issue, warming the freezer will likely have prevented being forced to dismantle and reassemble sections of the freezer compartment or at least the shrouding covering the evaporator fan, coil and drip tray.

Last edited:

Steve

Reaction score
I woke up this morning to more colored water near the fridge. The kitchen now has a vinegar smell to it. It's kind of sticky.

Reach4

Reaction score
I noticed water to the right of my fridge
What kind of refrigerator is it?

Put that name along with the term "duckbill" into a Google search, and see what you come up with.

Steve

Reaction score
Okay, after days of mopping the floor near the refrigerator, disconnecting the water supply to it, having it smell like fish and then vinegar a few days later, being totally confused about why I could not fix my fridge, I happened to notice the water melon on the counter and went to move it to a better spot and it collapsed in my hand and went flat. It had looked fine, but it was rotten and had been leaking juice for days onto my floor. Next time I will be sure to not leave a watermelon on the counter like that but find time to eat it before it becomes a smelly and rotten piece of fruit in the kitchen.

I went shopping today and bought a new one to replace it. Dang!

watermelon-01.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks