Insinkerator fiber? gasket

Users who are viewing this thread

Mar3232

Reaction score
I have an evolution series disposal and it seems like is has a lot more "torque" than others I've used. It's been installed for 3 years but now leaking because the entire disposal now "jolts" and spins a bit on startup, which has created a gap in the putty.

First of all, why isn't there a rubber gasket rather than the fiber one? Seems to me it would grab the metal better. Is there anything I can do? I'm going to reinstall everything with a new mount. Can I put some silicone on the top of that fiber washer to help keep it steady? Is there anyway I can improve this and make it last longer?https://www.homedepot.com/p/InSinkErator-Quick-Lock-Mount-for-Garbage-Disposals-QLM-00/100051195 THANKS

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
fiber washer doesn't do much on the ISE on a basket strainer with a big nut it helps in tightening.
most likely excessive putty the culprit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mar3232

Reaction score
there is no substitute for putty? you don't dare use silicone? or a rubber washer of some sort? I'm not a pro but every time I've used putty I've thought to myself how in the hell is this going to seal? a better quality putty maybe? thanks

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
We use silicone to seal basket strainers to the sink (top side).

Putty does alright if it's squeezed down tight enough, but it gets crumbly, and weak after time, too.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Never tried silicone seal . I've seen it used on shower drains on fiberglass pans. Putty works good on sinks, a bit of guess work for a newbe I suppose but you work it real good like silly putty best when warm . The non staining putty for marble and stone definitely not as good as regular putty

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks