Installing new laundry room and bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Ryan Miehm

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looking to install a new bathroom and laundry room in basement... what’s the best/easiest way to determine if there’s enough fall from the sanitary drain going out the foundation outside to the location of the new bathroom/laundry?

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
1/8" slope for 3" or 4" pipe, which is most residential waste pipe. So 1" every 8'. How far down is the connection, and how far are you going?

If you can measure down from the clean-out to where you hit a bend, that can give you a good idea how deep it is (fish an actual, or makeshift plumb bob down there). Otherwise, start digging.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Helper Dave, good recomendation, it might not give you an exact depth without cutting .
Basements are uncommon in my area , but the few that Ive been in over the years, If there is no existing plumbing in basement the sewer could go out above the floor level putting you in a pump situation

Reach4

Reaction score
Looking to install a new bathroom and laundry room in basement... what’s the best/easiest way to determine if there’s enough fall from the sanitary drain going out the foundation outside to the location of the new bathroom/laundry?
Do you have a floor drain or other drain in the basement currently?

If there is any chance of the sewers in your area backing up? If so, it is usually best to put in a sewer pit, and pumping up the new waste. A septic pit must be vented with a real vent. Usually 2 inch, but I don't know what the requirements are in Toronto. The sewer department may be helpful for getting information.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks