Connecting Washing Machine Branch to Existing Drain Cleanout in Basement

Users who are viewing this thread

tustind

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 3 family building and there are existing hookups for washers and dryers in the basement for each unit. However the currently drain into the sump -- which goes out the window! They are not in use for this reason.

I want to drain the machines properly, but due to their location there is no way to get them into the main sewer stack that comes down in the middle of the building without a pump.

However, there is a final main cleanout that comes up above the concrete floor just before the main exits the building and goes to the street.

I would like to drain the machines into the cleanout by installing a male adapter with a Y to replace the cleanout.

I have a couple questions for which I would appreciate some advice:

1.) Can I do this? (I care less about the plumbing code and more about whether it will work)

2.) How should I vent the machines? Could I vent with an AAV on a loop above the drain line? (See attached diagram)

3.) Can I use a PVC male adapter to thread into the existing cast-iron clean out? Or is there a better way to do this that doesn't involve jack hammering up the floor?

Thank you!
Dustin

Attachments

• Scan_07252020_001.jpg
    Scan_07252020_001.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 474

Stuff

Reaction score
Plan should work. Don't reduce the pipe size until above the Y to retain a full size clean-out (or use a clean-out T). Some areas don't allow AAVs as they do fail and 3 washers would accelerate that.

You may not care but multi-unit homes have stricter codes to protect everyone's health. Present your drawing to the local plumbing inspector for their sign-off.

tustind

Reaction score
Plan should work. Don't reduce the pipe size until above the Y to retain a full size clean-out (or use a clean-out T). Some areas don't allow AAVs as they do fail and 3 washers would accelerate that.

You may not care but multi-unit homes have stricter codes to protect everyone's health. Present your drawing to the local plumbing inspector for their sign-off.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

tustind

Reaction score
After removing the clean out cap, which was barely attached, there were almost no threads left on the clean out. So instead of a male adapter with a wye, I put on a 3" x 2" flexible coupling. My thinking is I can leave out the wye with cleanout entirely since this can easily be removed if necessary. Is there any reason to do it the other way (attach a new cleanout on a wye) instead of doing it like this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 4.05.35 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 4.05.35 PM.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 419

Stuff

Reaction score
If the pipe above is connected to other pipes and fastened in place it will not be easily removed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks