Mini Split Engineering Recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Mage182

Reaction score
I had a home energy review done during a renovation a few years back that included a mini split implementation design by a Mitsubishi cooling engineer. However, it is contradictory to everything I have read here about microzoning or oversizing. Does anyone have any opinions on the design or how it can be improved before I start shopping for equipment? It's an expanded cape with a full second floor. The recommendation is 5 heads with 1 outdoor unit. My concern is that the small rooms on the first floor won't function efficiently with a head in each of them. But placing one larger head in the living room won't cool those rooms adequately due to the layout and those rooms being south facing with zero shade on that side of the house. Any thoughts you have would be much appreciated.

Manual_J.jpg

Piping Diagram.jpg

System Locations.jpg

Stuff

Reaction score
You've got forced air heating so normal recommendation would be to add a/c to that. Then 2nd floor could have problems cooling due to inadequate duct work but many are just fine.

Mage182

Reaction score
You've got forced air heating so normal recommendation would be to add a/c to that. Then 2nd floor could have problems cooling due to inadequate duct work but many are just fine.

I have hydronic heating.

Stuff

Reaction score
OK - the doc shows a 85% efficient system with 1000 cfm so thought that was existing.

Yes, 1st floor bedroom units are oversized but since you have no air circulation between them and the living room you need a head in each. Other option would be to get a single horizontal ducted unit (basically an air handler) to cover the two bedrooms.

Mage182

Reaction score
Can I mount one ducted unit to the ceiling in the unfinished basement below and run a feed up through the floor to each room? Is that an acceptable install?

Stuff

Reaction score
Those are advertised as either ceiling or under floor so basement should be fine. A bit of duct work. Note you need both a supply and return.

Mage182

Reaction score
What is best practice for placing the vents and return for this since the documentation doesn't give any guidance?

Can the return be an existing hole in the floor in one closet? Can I run one duct up the wall in between the two rooms and put a grate on either side for output up near the ceiling?

Stuff

Reaction score
Best practice for a/c registers and returns is to place them high on the wall. You need a return in each area there is a supply; otherwise trim the bottom of doors or other work-around.
With bedrooms you generally don't want a back-to-back as noise travels easily.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks