High water table discovered after breaking up concrete to install toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Woogle

Reaction score
I just broke up the concrete in my basement flooring to relocate my toilet by about 3 in so that I can fit a vanity. As I dig next to the existing toilet drain, the trench got filled with water coming from high water table. Water table is about 2 in below the concrete surface. When I tried to use the surface non-submersible pump, it will lower the level by few inches but still there will be water level that will not let me glue the pipe fittings. Trench is continuously getting filled with water. Any suggestion: 1. How can I complete this pipe fittings when there is continuously water coming even if I use the surface pump. 2. Will the sump pump help when the water table is high and it is not even raining in Ottawa at this time of the year. Note there was an existing toilet few inches away from this location.

Attachments

• Water table in basement.JPG
    Water table in basement.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 222

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not sure what you are connecting. You could connect drain lines with flexible rubber couplers if you will bury the connections, or shielded flex couplers could be buried or not.

I would be thinking of putting in a ground water sump to collect water if the water level rises. Into that I would put a plastic sump liner with some pea gravel around the outside, before concreting the top of the plastic sump liner into place. I would drill some 1/8 or 3/16 holes (smaller than the gravel) around the perimeter in the couple inches lower than the concrete, to admit watter. Into that sump, I would put a sump pump.

It looks like you have dirt right under your concrete. Around here you would have gravel under the concrete.

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
Trenching basements will often see water, and it can be difficult to work around. What are you connecting to, though? You'll have to be deeper, and connect on the horizontal pipe to move 3", I'd imagine. Keep using the pump to clear the water while you get the horizontal pipe cleared for the cut and connection. Once you've got that in sight, and you cut it, the water will just continue to drain down the line, and you'll be fine. Just work fast enough when you're making the glued connection. Don't dip your dauber brush in any water, just get what you can in the trench if you can't keep it clear. A shop vac can help suck water out to give you time, though. Fully glue around the fitting, and twist when you're connecting it so you get that coverage, and seal.

Woogle

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. As I said, there is an existing toilet which we were planning to relocate about 3 in. So yes, we are trying to connect to the drain line. While using the pump, it lowers the water level by about 3 1/2" from surface within minutes and stays there if I continue to run the pump but then it does not go further lower to connect to the existing drain. Also as soon as I turn-off the pump water goes back to its original level. Now, I am not the plumber but one of the plumber says he can do it 100% but he did not tell me how is he going to do it. See attached picture for the current plumbing.

Attachments

• Basement water table2.jpg
    Basement water table2.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 198
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks