Water near top of foundation behind dish washer

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A sharp ice pick or an awl can be an easy way to see how punky any wood might be...it should go through the drywall without much issue as well.

The harrymanimus

harrymanimus
Reaction score
And the dishwasher is now fixed with the new part! I've ordered a diverter pan and a couple of water detection alarms, one for my HWHeater which I meant to do years ago.

Related question. This weekend I'll pull the DW for damage assessment. I've never actually done that before. Some videos seem to show disconnection/connection under the DW, some under the sink. Mine looks easier under the DW. Any issues with doing this?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Mine looks easier under the DW. Any issues with doing this?
If you plan to remove the drain hose from the pump connection, have a shallow pan and rags handy as some water will remain in the drain hose.

After shutting the water supply valve for the dishwasher, turn on the dishwasher momentarily so it will open the solinoid valve so as to de-pressurize the supply line before you disconnect it from the solenoid valve. Again, rags and a pan to catch any remaining water exiting from the water line.

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's better to disconnect under the sink to catch water. If you have thin pans, or old rags to catch it underneath the dishwasher itself, that might work, but it limits your room to work down there when there's already not a lot of space.

If your DW is hardwired in, make sure to shut the power off (switch underneath the DW or sink, or just at the panel), and undo the connections in the electrical box (most are at the front right corner). There's usually not enough wire to pull it out with it still wired up.

The harrymanimus

harrymanimus
Reaction score
I *think* I'm good. The drywall doesn't come all the way down so I can see and poke at the wood behind it. Seems solid. Looks like the water found a path of least resistance that did not damage much. Only a little damp on the left corner where there is a small hole in the cabinet. Pointing a fan at that for a while.

Attachments

• 20200726_150746.jpg
    20200726_150746.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 20200726_150755.jpg
    20200726_150755.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 20200726_150804.jpg
    20200726_150804.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 20200726_150844.jpg
    20200726_150844.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 20200726_150910.jpg
    20200726_150910.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 131

Bannerman

Reaction score
There appears to be a residue likely resulting from leakage that dried on the floor. I anticipate when attempting to rinse it off, it may feel slippery due to the high pH of the DW detergent.

If the residue does contain DW detergent, suggest adding some white vinegar to the rinse water to lower the pH of the rinse water to assist to remove the residue, and so any final rinse water remaining to air dry, will be close to neutral pH (~7.0).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks