Sink shut off help PLEASE!!!(Old House)

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe81pewo

Reaction score
I’m needing to change out a bathroom sink faucet but for the life of me can’t figure out how this water system runs. Needing to shut off the water source to change the faucet.Any help would be amazing!

Attachments

• 905BC73F-35F0-443C-8F85-9B091D9485FA.jpeg
    905BC73F-35F0-443C-8F85-9B091D9485FA.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 161

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look like you have individual shut-off valves at your sink. This is not at all unusual in older homes. You will need to shut off the main valve, probably in your basement (in you have one).

Joe81pewo

Reaction score
Doesn't look like you have individual shut-off valves at your sink. This is not at all unusual in older homes. You will need to shut off the main valve, probably in your basement (in you have one).
Appreciate it very much

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Those fittings where the copper attaches that goes to the faucet look like they're attached with a compression fitting. If that's so, you'll probably want to replace them, get a new escutcheon and use a new compression valve on the stub of copper coming out of the wall. You MIGHT need a compression ring puller to get the old nut and ring off of the wall.

Compression ring puller.jpg
compression shutoff valve.jpg

The pullers come in various formats. That one can also pull some handles off, should you ever need it.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
You may have "Tile stops" in other words two valves in the bathroom one for hot one for cold they will normally isolate the entrie bathroom .

Look for two handles sticking out of the wall

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Whenever I replace a faucet, I also replace the wall angle stops and the connectors to the new faucet.
You can't trust those any more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks