Home Depot trap adapters

Users who are viewing this thread

SuperMatttheHero

Reaction score
I tried searching for this answer everywhere but came up with nothing.

Does Home Depot/Lowes sell trap adapters for the white plastic pipe that does *not* use a tapered washer? It seems to be integrated into the nut? I tried using one with a tapered washer, and could not get the nut to thread.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have the trap adapter with the white plastic nut that integrates the washer, you may want to just pick up a complete new one.
I would think that a standard nut with plastic slip joint washer would work also. It's just the nut that changes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ALL trap adapters use a molded/formed "washer". Brass ones use a brass "compression ring", and plastic ones use the tapered washer. You CAN use a rubber washer, but if the tapered one does not fit, and I have never seen one NOT fit, then a rubber one probably would not either.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you tried adding a slip joint washer with a nut that has the integral washer, that won't go! Probably most trap adapters you find will have the integral washer. You should be able to buy a "plain" plastic nut, and use a tapered nylon, or rubber washer/

SuperMatttheHero

Reaction score
I asked because everything I read on this forum suggested that I needed a separate tapered washer for use with the white plastic drains. When I went to Home Depot, *none* of the trap adapters that they sold came with any washer, and there was nothing to suggest that it was "integral" with the nut. I had no idea if I had to buy a separate washer or not, so I did, and then I couldn't get the nut to thread.

Moral of the story...Home Depot *does* sell trap adapters which do not require the conventional washer.

Darrin Alcorn

Reaction score
If you have the trap adapter with the white plastic nut that integrates the washer, you may want to just pick up a complete new one.
I would think that a standard nut with plastic slip joint washer would work also. It's just the nut that changes.

I know this thread is 9 years old, but I'm curious about this as well. I put a piece of pipe into one of these 'integrated' trap adapters and there was still the slightest hairline between the fitting and the pipe; meaning gases and backup fluids could still make it out.

Are these integrated adapters safe and am I correct to assume that a tapered washer that fits tight on the pipe is the best/only way to get a good seal (outside of gluing everything)?

seminole plumbing

Reaction score
The integrated tapered washer is the nut that has more of a clear plastic look to it and bevels inward towards the inside of the male adapter. I think thats what your asking?

Darrin Alcorn

Reaction score
The integrated tapered washer is the nut that has more of a clear plastic look to it and bevels inward towards the inside of the male adapter. I think thats what your asking?
Yeah, I was just asking if the integrated washers were worth a damn; I was able to see a hairline opening between my pipe and the washer/nut and it made me think that I never want to use those - unfortunately, that's the only fitting they sell at the big box stores. I'll wait till monday to go to my supply house and get a traditional rubber tapered washer and flat nut

Reach4

Reaction score
Try this search on the HD website: slip joint washer

I would think the integrated washer types push against the body as you tighten. The separate washers push against the body too to compress the ring.

Darrin Alcorn

Reaction score
ha! I was just looking at those - I guess as you tighten the integrated washer would also tighten just as a rubber washer would ... I was looking at it in the store without it being tight so maybe that's not a fair assessment.

I'll buy some slip joint nuts and washers just in case - thanks for the info.

A.Tomas

Reaction score
ha! I was just looking at those - I guess as you tighten the integrated washer would also tighten just as a rubber washer would ... I was looking at it in the store without it being tight so maybe that's not a fair assessment.

I'll buy some slip joint nuts and washers just in case - thanks for the info.

hey I was curious how that worked for you. I’m running into same exact problem. I could only find trap adapter with the compression nut with integrated washer. And I’m worried if I should seek out a standard nut and separated washer instead? Your reply would be greats. Thanks

A.Tomas

Reaction score
That's all you'll find at HD or Lowes. Should work. They make everything cheaper now.

If you want something a little studier try this. They have different configurations. Look around on the site.

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/1-1-2-x-1-1-4-dwv-trap-adapter-male-sp-x-sj-d115-212.html
That's all you'll find at HD or Lowes. Should work. They make everything cheaper now.

If you want something a little studier try this. They have different configurations. Look around on the site.

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/1-1-2-x-1-1-4-dwv-trap-adapter-male-sp-x-sj-d115-212.html

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you got 2 posts going on the same topic?? Any way looked at your picture and looks to me like your missing a vent thats way worse than this confussion over what washer you need. I suggest you look into that

A.Tomas

Reaction score
you got 2 posts going on the same topic?? Any way looked at your picture and looks to me like your missing a vent thats way worse than this confussion over what washer you need. I suggest you look into that
Well This was a old thread I asked my question here first, then later I stared a new post Incase it didn’t get answered here. I explained That on my new post that it was the second time I asked this question. And I understand Jeff. I new it looked all off. Thought there should have been a T with a pipe going up also, not just that 90° Going down. It’s plumbed wrong and never had a washer or nut. Wow to the old owner or who he had do the work. Was that possibly code back in the early 60’s or just plain wrong? I been doing some research on how to vent this . I’m looking into a AAV vent. Looks like it’s accepted to install in my Jurisdiction. It would be a nightmare to vent to the roof. Or tear wall apart to tie into vent pipe wherever that may be. Any suggestions and how to size and install? Havent had time to read up on it all. Homework tomorrow. Code says it need to be installed 6 inches above a horizontal drain line. Not sure I would have room under sink and code says it can’t be in the wall unless it’s accessible And has airflow. there’s gonna be a bigger hole when I get in there to cut that bastard out . So would code say that enough airflow in the wall. Take care, Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks