Do all full port ball valves come only with Teflon seals? and why would the seam leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pman6

Reaction score
Are the teflon seals not removable?

and I see multiple bad reviews of home depot everbilt ball valves leaking at the body seam.

Is that because the 2 pieces weren't tightened enough before sweating?
or is there supposed to be joint compound on the seam thread?
or can excessive heat/user error do that?

how can I ensure the body won't leak before I sweat it on?

c5c08959-e424-57e1-b108-eddab0deef96.jpg

Pman6

Reaction score
can you suggest a good 1 inch full port ball valve?

i see a bunch of no-name valves sold at supply shops and big box, and they all look the same

I'm about to replace an old gate valve to my water heater

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
LA should have a bunch of real plumbing supply stores. They generally carry a better quality valve than the big box stores where people buy by price rather than quality. Pros can't risk a poor quality valve giving them issues as call backs are neither good for their bottom line or their reputation.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive used all kinds of valves from every place you can think of cheaper ones tend to be less quality. How ever dont fool yourself into thinking supply houses only sell quality I worked for a company doing tract houses and never forgot using hammond gatevalves from india we installed hundreds about a 5 percent failure befor the house was ever lived in.
Everyone is down on big box stores but I rescently compared prices on ferguson hirsh (medium sized supply chain in so cal) Lowes, Homedepot, and supply house .com My results were disappointing I am a licensed Contractor with an acoount at 2 supply houses and most Items at Lowes or home depot are half of the "pro" store example 2 inch abs santee at Lowes 2.78 at Hirsh4.93 and Ferguson 5.74 . All the pros think there is differance between where you buy a plastic fitting, copper fittings same thing (though supply house .com is very competitive).
There is value in buying from a plumbing supply house . the service is way better but when I need common parts for a few hundred dollar job I cant aford to pay 100 dollars versus 45 . plus if your buying 12 differant items you cant really see how much each item costs till you pay and are walking out the door.
Sorry about the rant. but expect to pay double or triple for a equal, so a better valve maybe 4 times the cost? I cant say. I like nibco

Pman6

Reaction score
lol i just called ferguson, and they are way expensive.

so we're left with only ferguson, hirsch, and plumbing "wholesale" outlet.

lowes is just awful, and doesn't even have 1" sweat ball valves for sale.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
apollo is good ! Theres other suppliers PWO in Pas or alhambra . I live way out past san bernardino Lowes is real close Ferguson 10 miles farther and I dont really like them anymore. Home Depot is a bit out of my way and real busy . Mostly work big jobs for other contractors but do small jobs here and there. As I said The" wholesaler" sells there crap to the pros for double the price of retail, and then brainwash everyone into think thier stuff is all golden when 90 percent of it is the same. Just My opinion. Not disagreeing about your situation and valves though ..

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Well if you're installing 500 valves, it would be hard to go back and check them all. But if it's just a few, you could just pick up an extra one and swap it out if needed, then return it or keep it as a spare. Is it worth paying double the price to avoid this? I guess that's up to you.

Reach4

Reaction score
Well if you're installing 500 valves, it would be hard to go back and check them all. But if it's just a few, you could just pick up an extra one and swap it out if needed, then return it or keep it as a spare. Is it worth paying double the price to avoid this? I guess that's up to you.
I think the concern is if the valve has a 5% infant failure, the long term failure rate may be elevated.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
I think the concern is if the valve has a 5% infant failure, the long term failure rate may be elevated.

Fair point. Have you observed this to be the case? I don't think I've seen enough valves to make that judgement, but in my experience the cheap ones have lasted long.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks