Floor support for 600 gallon water tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Cahoffa

Reaction score
So, maybe I'm misinterpreting the pictures, but I took the blocks stacked between the wood beams and the earth to be stone (often with a layer of wood shims directly under the beams). If you have wood cribbing directly on the earth, that's not good.

Proper footings don't have to be concrete, they could be gravel pads. A proper (pressure-treated) wood foundation will use gravel footings to provide drainage under the wood.

Cheers, Wayne
I really appreciate your help, Wayne! The blocks are stone and the shims are wood.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The main problem with the stone stacks is that there's nothing holding the stack together, so in a good windstorm or earthquake, things could easily shift to the detriment of your structure. [Plus the stones should be partially buried in the soil, which is impossible to verify from the photos.]

And as to your original question, what you have isn't suitable for a water tank, but if you are interested in fixing your existing footings, the additional work for the water tank would likely just be two more footings and some framing. You'd want to get an engineer to design all that for you, rather than listen to some person on the Internet.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cheers, Wayne[/QUO
The main problem with the stone stacks is that there's nothing holding the stack together, so in a good windstorm or earthquake, things could easily shift to the detriment of your structure. [Plus the stones should be partially buried in the soil, which is impossible to verify from the photos.]

And as to your original question, what you have isn't suitable for a water tank, but if you are interested in fixing your existing footings, the additional work for the water tank would likely just be two more footings and some framing. You'd want to get an engineer to design all that for you, rather than listen to some person on the Internet.

Cheers, Wayne

Good point Wayne but Engineers arent free. Looking at your building Id consult with an experianced foundation and structural man, at a minimum possibly engineer . but im thinking out there in Yukon its probebly kind of in the sticks like homesteader cabins. In which case Id use whoever was good at this stuff. because It doesent seem your going to be able to figure it out with out help

Cahoffa

Reaction score

Cheers, Wayne
Yes, I will! Thank you, Wayne!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks