Need help with the order of interior pressure reducing valve shutoff hose bib and all

Users who are viewing this thread

Rebecca3030

Reaction score
35 years on well water, must switch to Rural water. Meter to house is approximately 2,000 ft down our gravel driveway. Field stone and limestone rich area. Contractor is going to use 1 inch PE pipe. Is it large enough? To start HDPE seems a better choice. What specific information should I be fact checking? Recently widowed senior Citizen welcomes blunt advice.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
35 years on well water, must switch to Rural water.
Why switch? Well failed, or some regulation?

AFAIK, 160 psi SIDR pipe is HDPE.

Plugging 10 gpm, 1 inch, 0.03 mm roughness, 2000 ft in to the pipe calculator gave 70.45 psi pressure drop. That is a lot.
http://www.pressure-drop.com/Online-Calculator/

Clearly how much drop you can stand depends a lot on the minimum pressure that the water company promises to provide. Altitude also plays a part. For every foot of rise, you lose 0.422 0.433 psi in addition to the dynamic pressure drop that the calculator computes.

Note that nominal 1 inch SIDR pipe is a little larger than 1 inch ID, but close enough. I think you would want 1.5 inch pipe.

Other links for you:

https://www.menards.com/main/search.html?sf_categoryHierarchy=&search=sidr

https://www.harcofittings.com/DocumentLibrary/PE/hdpe_description.pdf

https://www.huduser.gov/portal/publications/pex_design_guide.pdf See page 77 regarding snaking etc. You won't use PEX for this, but the same concepts apply. The pipe expands with temperature and contracts with cold. So pipe laid on a hot day would contract quite a bit.

Pipe should go below the frost line.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
For every foot of rise, you lose 0.422 psi

100 ft X .433 = 43.3

2.31 X 43.3 = 100.0 feet

What do the math problems represent? The one looks like the numbers you'd get with a 100foot elevation change . .433x feet of elevation would equal PSI increase/decrease.
But the latter 2.31x.433=100 feet what is this used for?

Rebecca3030

Reaction score
I've lost the option to remain on shared well. The neighbors are closing the well march 1st due to recent water sample results. They won't consider shocking/ chlorination. Water line installation starts this month with meter at top of 1,8000 ft driveway. My immediate question. Main line enters thru slab foundation in basement 3/4 in copper.. I have a shutoff valve outside. I need the order on the interior side. shutoff, pressure reducing value, check valve, back flow, pressure gauge, and also where the hose bib fits into all of this. Again the meters 1,800 ft from 65 year old home. Thank you in advance

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
That order looks ok . Building department is requiring all that? check valve and backflow device in house?
Did you ever find out is the house higher or lower than the water meter location? As that affects pressure . no mention so I'm guessing no further concern with water main size

Rebecca3030

Reaction score
That order looks ok . Building department is requiring all that? check valve and backflow device in house?
Did you ever find out is the house higher or lower than the water meter location? as that affects pressure . no mention so im guessing no further concern with water main size
Did you ever find out is the house higher or lower than the water meter location? as that affects pressure . no mention so im guessing no further concern with water main size
The house much lower. Very concerned about water main. The first 900 ft will have 8 splice/ couplers. Contractor is using insta-tite stab fittings. I'm not familiar with this type. The first 1,500 ft is the neighbors property but my responsibility as easement holder. I have little to no input on installation. I belive the prv I ordered has check valve. Do I need a backfow in addition. I checked Wilkins 3/4 in prv with intergral bypass check valve.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I belive the prv I ordered has check valve. Do I need a backfow in addition
Not for the house, or spigots on the house I think. Where is the meter? However what you need for a yard irrigation system would be defined locally, I think. I am not a pro.

Sorry you lost the well water.

Mueller has a good reputation.
https://www.muellercompany.com/site...media/Insta-Tite_Connection_form12366_web.pdf

They should not pull the polyethylene pipe tight, but should instead snake it in the trench a bit to allow for thermal contraction. However the fact that they are installing in cold weather I suspect is a plus in that regard.

Rebecca3030

Reaction score
Not for the house, or spigots on the house I think. Where is the meter? However what you need for a yard irrigation system would be defined locally, I think. I am not a pro.

Sorry you lost the well water.

Mueller has a good reputation.
https://www.muellercompany.com/site...media/Insta-Tite_Connection_form12366_web.pdf

They should not pull the polyethylene pipe tight, but should instead snake it in the trench a bit to allow for thermal contraction. However the fact that they are installing in cold weather I suspect is a plus in that regard.
Thank you for the link.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Normally no backflow . Normally a shut off valve , PRV , and hose bib. someplace outside a tee installed for irrigation or future use.
City , county, or water district may have requirements . widely vary from area to area

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
8.66TE="Jeff H Young, post: 633973, member: 94784"]What do the math problems represent? The one looks like the numbers youd get with a 100foot elevation change . .433x feet of elevation would equal PSI increase/decrease.
But the latter 2.31x.433=100 feet what is this used for?[/QUOTE]

Good question

When you're installing a boiler for Hydronics ideally you measure from the top of the boiler to the uppermost radiator/fin tube an easier way is to cold fill the system and you read the altitude gauge on the tri indicator.

Suppose you see on the altitude that would indicate the height is 20 feet would equal 8.66 pounds

To overcome friction losses and make sure there is positive pressure to eliminate air you add a fudge factor on the automatic feeder of 4 PSI PLUS the hydrostatic pressure (8.66 and add 4 PSI ) and round it off to 13 PSI

This is why most automatic feeders are set for 12-15 PSI and as the water is heated it expands adding more pressure to the system and this is why there are expansion tanks

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rebeca3030 I saw another question you posted regarding additional valves. I have a less than a half acre yet I have 5 hosebibs scattered around . So being a plumber Id have several tees installed along the 1/4 mile plus route because the cost practically nothing in the budget. and decide whether an additional valve out side the house would be installed I almost certainly would . No sketch no idea what your propertys like dont know if you have acres or a tiny plot but a long easement. So just some things for you to think about. Pipeline contractor may shed some advice

Reach4

Reaction score
In Indiana, those would be yard hydrants, because those dump the water from the riser pipe, so that it won't freeze.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
In Indiana, those would be yard hydrants, because those dump the water in the riser pipe, so that it won't freeze.
Yea right but kind of pricey too so by putting a t on the line and marking it with a stake you can add it later. I got no idea what she has a tiny 50 x100 lot or 10 acres. agree though freeze proof hydrants be in order or on a stop and waste valve below frost. she should adress her wants

Rebecca3030

Reaction score
Did you ever find out is the house higher or lower than the water meter location? As that affects pressure . no mention so I'm guessing no further concern with water main size

Attachments

• 20210108_210345.jpg
    20210108_210345.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 20210108_211451.jpg
    20210108_211451.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 145

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The installers needs to test it not just roll it out and bury it. He could do 2 oo foot test that secion and then backfill and work on digging another stretch. Dont know where your coming from looking for leaks? you could put a valve every 100 foot ? every 500 foot or wherever you want. I dont think I would leave 1800 foot of open trench. As I said befor 1i would have a valve on my property . perhaps right where I came on my property

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks